"All that tells me is that there's no way out."

"So let's find a way through." She tried to roll over on her side, but I could see that it hurt and I made her lay back down. "I'm trying to be honest," she sighed. "We started kissing like lovers last week, and now you have two other girls to take care of, and you can't promise me there won't ever be another one, or more after that."

"Kath..."

"Don't tell me it won't happen. You didn't mean for any of this, but here we are. I meant what I said about not standing in the way, but that doesn't mean you're not mine. If this our new normal then I want something the others can't have."

"It's not a competition."

"That's not what I meant! I..." she stopped herself with some effort and let out a breath.

"What?"

"Nothing. I need rest, and so do you. We can talk about this again when I'm better. Can you shut off the light?"

She wasn't angry, but she had clearly said all she was going to. I couldn't hold her, but we kissed, partly to reassure each other after the argument, then held hands until she nodded off. I laid awake thinking about what she said. It wasn't as though I didn't want to be with her, but I'd never gone that far with anyone, and our situation was many times more complex than any kind of normal. Taking that step might fundamentally change Katherine, but even if it didn't, it would change our relationship and we couldn't do that without affecting Rachel and Becca. It was a certified mess.

When I finally nodded off I dreamed I was walking down the aisle in a church past dozens of pews, accompanied by a pipe organ playing Tonight's the Night. On my left sat a bunch of women with too much makeup, all laughing and swooning as if drunk. On my right, the seats were filled with birds and farm animals and the smells and sounds that came with them. When I reached the steps before the altar, I looked up at three brides in lacy, white dresses who turned in unison to watch me approach. They had no faces and all of them were pregnant.

I woke shortly after sunrise and eased myself out of bed to use the toilet, then pulled on the coveralls and left Katherine to sleep and heal. The red haired Fae stood just outside, waiting.

"Second one up," Finn said as I quietly closed the door.

"Everyone else is sleeping?"

"I meant second among the four of you," she said. "I just got here and Gold doesn't sleep as far as I know. Just now she's having a forceful conversation with the tall one. How are the rest of your women?"

"Adjusting," I said and pointed to Katherine's door, "If that's how magic heals, I don't know why I'm bothering to study medicine."

Finn smiled wryly, "Magic is a fancy word that implies a lot and answers little. I have a few friends who are exceptionally good healers, but those little cheats can become disasters with very little effort. Don't dismiss your methods too quickly."

"I guess. It's just hard to get my head around it."

"Understandable, just remember everything Juhan did for her is normal where he's from."

"That's her doctor?" Finn nodded. "What's normal for you?" I asked, cringing at the audacity of my own question.

"That's complicated," she said. "Short answer? Same as you. I didn't come through the Veil."

"You're a changeling?"

Finn shrugged and motioned for me to follow her into the yard. "My grandmother was kitsune, but gramps was human and it skipped my mom."