Chapter 4.1: Wholesome Memories

After the serious talk, Ash and Kirsten decided to just have a casual conversation. Right now, Kirsten was telling Ash how watching his adventures ended up saving her from a lifetime of regret.

"So in your world, my adventures were like a TV show, right?" Ash asks, wanting to make sure he understood the basics.

"Your adventures were a show. I guess you could say the whole reason you exist is thanks to the TV show." Kirsten replied, lying on the sand within the dream. She looked up at the sky, which was now filled with stars. "If the show didn't exist, I don't think I could of kept going on with life as well as I have been."

There was a couple more moments of silence before the girl continued. "Do you remember when Torracat met it's caretaker within Tapu Fini's mist?"

"Of course I do!" Ash smiled. "Torracat was really happy after that."

Kirsten smiled a little once again. "During that episode, the adventure was more focused on Mallow and her past. Of course you were shown a bit, but most of the time, Mallow was on the screen."

Another small moment of silence.

"The anime aired at different times in different languages. Japan had all the episodes first, as they created the show. It aired on Febuary 10th, 2019 for the Japanese."

Ash nods, following the conversation.

"Since I was American and didn't understand Japanese, I had to wait for the fan subtitles. Surprisingly, the group who subs the episodes are really quick with their work. Doesn't even take half a day sometimes."

Ash nods, still listening.

"During the episode, Mallow ended up meeting her mom in the mist. She said a sentence I'll never forget for as long as I live: Thank you for giving birth to me."

Tears slowly fell from Kirsten's eyes.

"There's a reason why this episode is very important to me: you see, my own grandma was very ill and wasn't going to last much longer. In fact, her last breath was 6 days later..." The girl's eyes were now watering.

"I haven't had to deal with a death until that moment. I was 22 at the time, already in a very bad mindset. Life was very hard for me." Kirsten took a deep breath. "I got a call from my mother who was at the hospital. She told me my grandma wasn't going to last a couple more hours..."

Ash's Dragonite (who was also in the dream) walked over and began to hug the 24 year old.

"I've never been good with words, you see. I wanted the last words from me to her to not have any regrets. I remembered how Mallow was when she told her mom 'I hate you.' In my world, there are no second chances at seeing dead loved ones. I couldn't afford to make any mistakes."

Now a couple more of Ash's Pokemon also went to hug her.

"That's when I remembered Mallow's words. Although she was not my mom, my Grandma was my mom's mom. My last words to her: Thank you for giving birth to mom so she could give birth to me."

The girl finally started breaking down. It seemed as if she was holding in those tears for far too long...

"If I could of done something differently, it would of been to tell her face-to-face. I just couldn't bring myself to seeing her die... my last memories are of her smiling, after all..."

Ash didn't know how to respond to all that. He ended up doing what his Pokemon were doing, giving her a hug.

Kirsten was wailing, letting out the feelings she forced herself to keep in for over a year and a half.

"I need to protect the world that helped me out so much... we need to beat that madman, Ash."

"We will." Ash said with a reassuring tone. He was going to make sure everything ended up OK in the end, no matter what.

__________

Hey everyone, Yuki here.

I want you to know that the events within this chapter are 100% true. I had a grandma who passed away on February 16, 2019. Basically a week after the Mallow/Mom episode aired in Japan.

The words Mallow said helped me create my own final words, which I'm REALLY GREATFUL. Thank you creators of the SM anime for having that episode air when it did. <3

This chapter may of seemed like a bonus chapter, but this little conversation will pop up a couple times for whatever reason.

Anyway, I hope you all are liking the story so far. I'll see you in the next chapter.

(The important line from the episode)

(Me and my Grandma, the last time I saw her

(Me and my Grandma, the last time I saw her.) - Rest in Peace, Grandma. :')