3 My Bachelor Party

Jonas~~

I lean over the second-floor railing, watching my cousins drink and laugh. It amazes me how quickly they can go from leaders of our country to carefree young adults.

When we finished work this afternoon, they loaded me into one of three cars and drove me to this house in a forest an hour away from home.

My bachelors party, I think.

Smiling as Eli tries to lecture Percy about some unknown-but-looks-to-be-highly-important topic, I sip on my glass of whiskey.

"Hey." Brydan settles beside me. He arrived half an hour ago. "What are you doing up here alone?"

"You know I've never been one for drunken revelry."

"If there was ever a night that you were, it would be tonight."

I take another sip. "I need to call Iris before my mind becomes cloudy."

"You're about to be tied down to her. Can't you resist talking to her for one night?"

"It's not a catch-up call."

I tighten my left hand into a fist, the wrist flexing. My Mark is covered by my bandage and the sleeve of my shirt, the outline of the white wrap visible underneath the fabric.

"Isn't she having her own bachelorette party right now?"

"Only with Gwen. I think she'll appreciate the distraction."

I slip out onto the balcony, greeted by crickets chirping. In the distance, beyond the tops of trees, a town's lights twinkle at the base of the mountain. Pulling out my phone, I dial Iris's number for a video call.

When she answers, there are pillows propping her up.

"Did I wake you?"

Her eyes are heavy, and her cheeks are flushed, but she smiles. "No. Just taking a break before going to the museum."

"Museum?"

"Gwen's rented out an art museum for the night for a private tour."

"Is she with you now?"

"She's out getting a pizza."

I blink. "She hates pizza." And it's not like her to go and pick something up. Not when there are people with her who can do that for her.

"Not when she's drunk. We got some slices earlier, and it was like I blinked, and her slices were gone."

"I've never seen her drunk."

"Really?"

"I didn't know that was a possibility." She's always quick to cast a stink eye on any of us when we drink too much.

"She's had us drinking since this morning."

"To make up for the lack of a traditional bachelorette party I'm assuming?"

She laughs. "I think. But I'm having fun. This is more my speed. Where did the guys take you?"

"A secluded house in the woods. Either Sebastian, Tobias, Bently, and Colton are planning to murder me, or they're prepared to get royally wasted."

She purses her lips, trying to hide a smile. "Well let's hope it's the latter."

"Ready to be tied down to me then?"