34 This Chapter Was Definitely Inspired By the Clue Movie

Iris~~           

Odalia is one rolling hill after another. They're a crisp dark green as if they've been freshly watered or painted.

Beside me, Jonas drives the vehicle we rented after we landed in Odalia. It's different than the ones we rode inside of in Borilia. This reminds me more of Jonas's silver car back in Elleany. Driving with him through the countryside makes me feel as if we're a normal couple. For right now we're in control of where we go and how we get there. It's as if we're back in Elleany before our wedding was crashed.

Jonas's father has an account with a bank on Amoria Jonas was able to access. Colton, wherever he is right now, would be able to draw from it as well. Erik would not. While Erik's father has an account here, he has made sure his son has no access to it.

My hand rests on the console, Jonas's fingers intertwined with mine. This is the most peace I've felt in days, but at the same time dread underlays it all. If only one Order says no, then we've failed.

Jonas glances at me, smiling, before looking back at the road.

This must be what it's like for people who are in love with people who aren't in the Society, who aren't ruling a country. Who can just get in a car and drive without worrying about rebels attacking you or in my case, family I didn't know I had.

"There's a town before we get to the Order," Jonas says. "Do you want to stop for lunch?"

I give his hand a squeeze. "Let's do it."

The town is tucked in between three hills and gently slopes upward at the bases of them. None of the buildings are more than one story tall and all are made of light gray stone with black-thatched roofs. Jonas pulls off on the side of the road near a café.

I step out of the car, stretching my neckONLYONWATTPADBENDERas the sun warms me. "This is much better fleeing-for-your-life weather."

In response, Jonas wraps his arm around me and places a kiss on my cheek.

Once inside the café, we both order sandwiches and something like lemonade but with a different sour fruit native to only Amoria. As the woman writes our Orders, I spot tattoos of lines and arrows, circles and moons and stars on the inside of her arm that doesn't bare her Mark, and when our food is brought to us, the waiter has a similar one on his right arm.

Instead of immediately biting into his sandwich, Jonas takes his time, cutting it down its center with a knife. One of my favorite things about him is that he eats pizza with a fork.

"Do those tattoos mean something?"

Jonas looks up, heading tilting to the side. "Hmm?"

"The ones with the circles and moons."

"Oh." He lowers his knife. "Have you noticed them before?"

"If you mean in Borilia, I was a bit distracted."

"Right." He scratches at his unmarked arm. "They're Amoria's version of a wedding ring. Instead Amorians use another mark. One that's a bit more permanent than a wedding band."

"Does everyone married get them?"

"Most. They want to be certain their marriage is going to last before they mark their commitment on their arm."

"You don't have them in the Society, though?"

"We do. Most just aren't as noticeable. Usually only a few lines or a moon or star. They're less of a commitment that way."