𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝔀𝓸. a golden stare.

𝑶𝒅𝒅 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒐𝒘 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒏 𝑺𝑼𝑽 𝒂𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒇𝒇 𝒃𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒎𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓- apparently going to a grocery store just a few miles away. Examining the rain that slid down the window, she cheered for the leading droplet, only for the one besides it to catch up and slide down ahead.

Blinking slowly, she yawned. It seemed that the only time her mother wanted to go shopping was ten in the evening, when everyone was supposed to be asleep. Keyword, supposed to be- because as soon as the two stepped out into the heavy rainstorm and made their way inside, there were around ten people still inside the store.

So as Nettie made herself nonexistent, and her mother signed the countless autographs she was asked for, the girl just wandered around the store.

Twenty-four hour groceries were hard to find, but they were definitely appreciated. Linette scanned the aisles with emerald green eyes, looking through bags of taffy, licorice, and other sweets.

Her eyes were quite the sight. Neither her mother, who had brown eyes, nor her father, who she heard had blue eyes- had even any relation to the color. It was quite the odd ordeal, but she didn't mind. She liked her eyes just fine.

Peering through different aises, she came across a large section with fruits & vegetables. Taking a few bags, she debated on different fruits to pick out. An odd feeling creeped up on her as she took a few non-bruised apples and placed them into the plastic. Almost like she was being watched.

Deciding that was silly, she continued the meticulous task- picking out some oranges, plums, corn, & a package of grapes. Finding a conveniently placed, empty cart nearby, she grabbed it, placing the items inside the front portion as she continued on.

As she continued shopping- waiting for her mother to catch up to her, she kept having that odd feeling. Glancing around her for what felt like the hundredth time, she caught a black figure from the corner of her eye. Freezing slightly, she tried to make it so that it looked like she didn't see the unknown, moving on with her life as if nothing had happened.

It seemed like her plan had worked, because she stealthily caught glances of them throughout her trip without their notice.

Finally, after what felt like forever, she was ready to checkout- and definitely ready to get away from whoever the heck that was. Speeding her way to the cashier, she signalled to her mom, who was still stuck entertaining fans, that she was done. The woman caught her eye and nodded slightly, telling her that she'd be there in a second.

Still feeling the eyes of the person behind her, and tired of their staring, she flipped on her head and stared them directly in the eye.

It was a tall man- no, teenager. Around her age. He was.. strange. But what caught her off guard wasn't the fact that he didn't seem to be startled by the action, it was his golden eyes. Golden eyes.

Their gaze locked for a few more seconds before the male just nodded. She watched him leave the store as a terrible feeling burst in her gut- signalling warning bells like she'd never known before.

Nettie was so shell-shocked, that she completely missed her mother's hand waving in front of her face.

"-tie. Nettie!"

She jumped slightly, staring up at her mother with a gaze she only pictured as terrified. Immediately her mother looked at her, worried. "What's wrong?"

All Linette could do was look back to the door as she shivered.

What the hell had just happened?