Innuendos

He still remembers their first non-innocent joke with each other, as well as the many more that come after it.

They're on a mission in Sand, their first since saving Gaara from the Akatsuki. Team Guy joins them, with Kiba filling in as their third cel for Team Seven. Sasuke's absence had always been shushed whenever possible, but it never ceased to scream loudest when they had to fill his spot with another shinobi. However, Sakura and Naruto were in jovial spirits, and damned if Kakashi was going to ruin it by mentioning the fact.

They stop at an oasis to get their bearings and take stock of their supplies, as well as develop a game plan; their target is a very high-dollar dignitary from Sound, and unfortunately, they know they're coming. But they didn't know about Team Guy, and Kakashi also doubted they knew that the Fifth had sent some of her finest; and those were two things they could work with.

He and Sakura rest beneath a little tree, a map of their dignitary's route on a blanket between them as Naruto and the others prepare food.

"Okay, so I'm thinking we wait up here in these cliffs for the entourage to pass by, and then we can strike."

Sakura knits her brow, and already, he can see she's detected a flaw in his plan.

"Yeah, but wouldn't that be too obvious? That would be the first place I'd look, and they know we're coming."

"Riiight," he agrees, but then points to another spot on the map. "Unless we set up a diversion over here to make them think otherwise."

Of course she doesn't miss a beat. "Yeah, but then Guy and his team would be exposed here, which would ruin our element of surprise."

"Which is why we have clone jutsus that exist for here and here."

They continue back and forth like this for a few moments longer, and both of their brains are buzzing from the stimulation of friendly strategic banter.

"Okay, Kakashi, you win. We'll go with your plan."

His visible eye crinkles in jest. "I told you I've had practice."

She rolls her eyes and gives him a look, smirking. "Oh, yes, forgive me. My most humble apologies, oh, Great One."

"'Great One'?" he echoes. "How about something a bit more formal? Like Master?"

She scoffs, crossing her arms. "Ha! 'Master'? What is this, a role play?"

"Well, if you're offering..."

He normally says these things simply because it humors him to see her feathers ruffled, but he hardly suspects her to actually shoot back.

"Oh, yes, please, master! Do show me how?"

She makes a half-baked attempt at a pout and Kakashi is so shocked that it takes him a moment to recover. Was...was that an innuendo? That she just made? She, Sakura Haruno of the Hidden Leaf Village, who was so prim and proper that she would sooner beat the perversion out of someone than join in on the joke?

If it were Naruto she'd made the comment to, he's sure she would have won out by way of the shock factor. Thankfully, though, he's wittier than the whiskered blond, and more than capable of verbally sparring.

"You'd be surprised at the things I could show you."

She smirks at him and cocks an eyebrow. "Really, Kakashi? Could you show me things?"

His visible eye doesn't move; okay, that was definitely an innuendo. Sakura Haruno did not 'do' innuendos. What alternate universe did he step into?

Is this a clone I'm staring at? He thinks as he pulls at his collar. God, this desert was hot.

Her smile is all suggestiveness and humor and he doesn't know what to think.

He likes it.