Prologue: Alone

The coldness of the murky water dripping from the top of the cave seemed to pour off in waves as Regulus sat against one of the great rocks in his soaking wet robes and shivered as he looked at his surroundings.

"It sure is lonely down here." he thought, as his hand closed around the small locket that hung around his neck which popped open with a soft click to reveal a picture of himself and a girl holding hands.

"Forgive me, Roxy." he whispered, as he looked at the picture with eyes blurred from the tears that streamed down his cheeks as he buried his face into his knees and sobbed.

His long black hair falling in front of his face like a dark veil.

His crying came to a halt when he heard the sound of scuffling not too far from where he was sitting, and he looked up just in time to see a large rat come scurrying out from behind a large rock.

"Hello there." he said, as he held out his hand for the creature to sniff.

"Do you have a name my little friend?"  he asked, as the rat scampered closer to him and sniffed his hand before looking up at him with it's large black eyes.

"No name? I shall call you Vern." he said, as he picked the rat up and scratched it behind the ear making it close it's little eyes in pleasure.

"It's getting rather late, don't you think?" he asked, and the rat squeaked in response causing him to chuckle.

"I suppose you're right, we should get some sleep then in the morning we'll try and find a way out of here." he said, as he laid back against the large rock with the little rat curled up against his shoulder.

"Goodnight Vern." he said, as he wrapped his cloak around himself like a blanket and fell into an uneasy sleep.