Five

Avery Castillo

I was woken out of my sleep to hear my mom and sister arguing.

I covered my ears with the pillow, trying not to hear what was going on but I couldn't help but hear it all clearly since the pillow wasn't helping.

"You hoe! You stole from me?! After I took care of you and your fucking sister! BOTH OF YA'LL GET THE HELL OUT!" I arose from my bed, looking at the door before it busted open with my mother.

"Get your shit and leave!" My mom said and I palmed my face.

"NOW!" She yelled slamming my door.

I got out of bed, leaving out my room and walked outside to see my sister putting clothes in her trunk.

"What is going on D?" I asked and Diamond rolled her eyes, ignoring my question.

"That bitch is crazy! Them drugs got her fucking crazy." Diamond said but that wasn't helping the confusion that was going on in my head.

"D, did you steal from her?" I asked.

"NO! That bitch is crazy!" Diamond shouted at me, slamming her trunk closed.

"GET YOUR SHIT!" My mom yelled, throwing out my clothes.

"Fuck you, YOU STUPID BITCH!" Diamond yelled.

I looked between the two, tears starting to fill the brim of my eyes, a headache starting to form from the craziness.

Never would I have thought a once so perfect family would fall apart like this.

"Avery, do you need a ride?" Diamond asked out the window of her car.

I nodded, but I didn't have anywhere to go. The only place I could go was to a motel.

I gathered all my clothes, throwing them in the Duffel that was thrown out as well.

"I'll be right back." I ran inside the house, looking everywhere to see no sign of my mother.

I went inside my bedroom, looking in the closet for my box. I pulled it out, and left out the house, getting inside Diamond's car.

Diamond pulled off, tires screeching as we left out the neighborhood.

"Where am I taking you." Diamond asked frustratedly.

"The nearest Motel." I shrugged.

"Where are you gonna stay?" I asked and Diamond shook her head.

"I guess with my boyfriend. He's the only one I know who has everything I need. The money, a roof over my head."

I never got why my sister always put her mindset on the nigga's and their money. She never thought to go out and get a job or put out her talent.

10 minutes had passed and the car had came to a stop.

"You gonna be good?" Diamond asked.

I nodded, opening the door and grabbing my things out the backseat.

"Thanks for the ride." I thanked her.

"No problem. I know we don't get along very well but I love you Ight? I want you to be safe out here because I know we might never see each other again." Diamond said.

I cracked a smile.

I never heard my sister talk to me like that. It was always an disagreement, misunderstanding, or argument.

We never sat down and had a serious conversation.

"I love you too D." I said.

I closed the back door, waving at her as she pulled off to only god knows where.

I just hoped my sister stayed safe out here and my mother? I could careless after what she pulled.

I walked inside, stepping to a man behind a counter.

"I would like a room please."

.  .  .

I sat in the bed, watching Martin on the TV.

It was getting late and I was hungry.

I got out of the bed, taking some change from my pocket and grabbed my keycard, walking out the room.

I went down a hallway, seeing the vending machine.

I had 4 dollars in quarters. I got some cookies, hot Cheetos with a water.  Grabbing my items, I took them back to my room, throwing them on my bed.

I walked to my box of cash, taking out a $10 bill. I thought on some pizza from the pizzeria 1 block away.

Walking back out, I walked past the other motel
rooms before one door opened. That familiar voice made my neck break as I looked him.

He was in a black hoodie, belt to his white jeans were unbuckled.

I continued to walk until I heard him call my name.

"So you gonna act like you don't know me?" David asked and I kept walking.

He jogged up, catching up to me, walking across the street beside me.

"What you doing at the motel?" He asked.

"I should be asking you the same thing." I said and he went silent before smacking his lips, waving off the direction of the Motel.

"That ain't nothing but a lil protected quickie." He said making me laugh as he opened the door for me to go inside the Pizza place.

"But for real though, why you at the motel?" He asked with a raised brow.

"Long story." I said, stepping to the lady behind the counter.

I ordered me a medium pepperoni pizza, handing over the $10 dollar bill but David moved me to the side, handing over a $20 bill.

"Keep the change." He said, receiving my receipt and handing it to me.

I gave him an annoyed look, going to sit at a booth, waiting for my number to be called.

"You know you didn't have to do that." I said and he shrugged.

"That ain't nothing." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"Ian even said shit smart to you. Why you rolling ya eyes?" He asked and I rolled them again.

"Because, why are you bothering me? I'm a snake remember." I said.

"You must like pissing me off. I said that you might be a snake. But if we keep running into each other, I might as well get used to you." He shrugged.

I shook my head, feeling him stare at me.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked.

"Nah, just never seen a ugly ass face before." He said and I playfully rolled my eyes.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"I just wanna know why you at a motel and not at home." He said.

"Why do you care?" I asked.

"I don't. Just wanna know." He said.

I heard my number being called so I went to get my pizza and made it back to the booth.

I opened the box, getting ready to kill the pizza until he snatched it away.

"What the fuck David." I said.

"It's East to you." He said and I looked away annoyingly.

"That's mine. Can I get it back?" I asked.

"No. I paid for it." He said.

"Ugh!" I let out.

"Tell me why you at a motel." He said.

I didn't wanna tell him my problems that went on at home because it wasn't his business and he would probably make fun of me for it, even though it wasn't my fault.

At this point, I was hungry.