Chapter 5

The next morning, I wake up really late. My chest flitters and panic begins to set in. I brush my teeth, wash my face, clean up quickly and slip into the freshly cleaned jumpers. When I step out, I find the hallway empty and my panic increases. I have lost track of time, thanks to Austin who himself has not slept in late.

Thankfully, I find everyone still having breakfast at the cafeteria, not in class. I sit beside Akio, guilt written on my face, although I am not exactly sure why. I expect a robot to call me up at any moment and chastise me in front of everyone.

"You look terrible." Akio says and nudges his glasses up to take a better look at me.

I roll my eyes.

"Didn't get much sleep, eh?"

My face turns red. "How do you know?"

Akio takes his time. He chews, swallows, and jabs the air with his fork. "It is quite obvious, actually. I'm guessing you didn't look in the mirror this morning. Your eyes have dark circles, you didn't tuck all of your hair into the band, and above all, Emma, you are wearing the back of your jumper."

"Shit!" I exclaim as I look down to see the horrid detail I had over looked. The jumper is turned inside out.

"Consider me a true friend for telling you this."

"Is there a restroom here?" I ask him.

"Yes. I also have a trick to help you avoid everyone's gaze. Although you've been seen by a few. Where is Austin and Zuri by the way?"

"Please, Akio. Where is the restroom?"

"Oh, that. Yea, yea. I get carried away sometimes."

A part of me wants to punch Akio for not understanding the urgency of this situation although, I know he isn't being mean or caustic.

"Walk behind the servers, take your left, a few paces in, you'll see the restroom."

"Thanks."

I walk as quickly as my legs can carry me. When I return, Akio is still sitting there.

"Looking so much better now."

Just then, Austin comes around, smelling of mint and lavender. There is not a single thing amiss on his body. His jumper is not inside out, and his hair is neatly brushed. So is his teeth which gleams and which he dies not hesitate to flash.

"What's popping guys?"

He says as he maneuvers his way to my side.

"Emma slept in late." Akio says, Hus eyes beaming with more secret.

Austin laughs. "Is that so?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes, that is so. I wonder why?"

Austin gets the sarcasm and his eyes twinkle.

"Are you mad about the fact that you slept in late and your strict schedule has been messed with?"

I roll my eyes again.

"Remember what I said about nonconformity?"

"We need to leave for classes now." Akio cuts in as he glances at his smart watch. "There was an announcement earlier today, Emma. Today is the grouping day. Apparently, it only took them a day of class and closely watching us to discover our strengths and know what sectors to group us into."

I glance at Austin, them back at Akio. "Do you have any clue where you would be?"

Akio shrugs. "No. What I do know is some of us will be going back home today as well."