Part 12

Desiree was a queen in Elijah's eyes. The short Mexican woman was everything he dreamed of. She was small but she was still feisty. The small beauty had dreams and she was going to achieve them all with her head held high. Complaining was one thing she wouldn't do, no matter how hard she was hurting. It's what Elijah admired most about her.

After a long day of work, Desiree came home to cook for her man. The only flaw he could see was her little shopping addiction. That was nothing for Elijah. As long as she continued to love him unconditionally then he would do anything for her. He would give her the world even if it meant working to the bone. The woman was his heart, his true soul mate.

That was until the position of taking over Henderson Inc was compromised. His younger brother had come back to take over the head potion he once passed on. His brother-Christen wanted nothing more than to chase his dream of being a doctor. But when he got word that someone on the inside was giving competitors inside information, Christen had taken a break to fulfill his father's wish. Leaking information was a threat to Henderson's name. A threat that could potentially ruin the Henderson name.

The fight for the head position took a toll on Desiree. She became uncertain about Elijah's future and she was lost. She needed a man that could provide when she couldn't. Although she was an independent woman, she yearned for a man that could lead her household. To her luck, she found a decent sized building, nearly 3,000 miles away, to start her business. Once she received word that Elijah was going to step down from the CEO position, she slowly began to pull away from the relationship.

Elijah stood and watched the woman he loved for the past three years pack her bags without remorse. He loved her. His family loved her. So what was the problem? The last few years of memories flooded his mind until he realized what was going on.

"Who are you leaving me for?" Elijah questioned the woman.

"I'm not leaving you for anyone. I just can't do this anymore."

"Then, Is it because I'm thinking about stepping down from the company?" Elijah grabbed her arms to stop her movements. "I can start my own company with my name. With our name. Where is that faith you once had in me?"

Desiree scoffed. Yanking her hands-free from his grasp and continued packing. "You had everything at the tip of your fingers and you let it go. For what? To please your spoiled brother?"

"I love you." He pleaded.

"I have love for you, Elijah. I really do. It's just not the same anymore. I need a smart man that can lead. Not someone that makes rash decisions to please his family."

"You have love for me?! But you don't love me? So the last three years was a complete joke?"

"Look, you need help. Your fetish is not normal. I tried so hard to adjust to your lifestyle but I can't." Desire shook her head. "Something is seriously wrong with you." She didn't know what else to say to Elijah for him to let her go. 

Elijah was taken aback. She had never once mentioned that his interest in BDSM had bothered her. They rarely indulged in any activity that could actually hurt her. So he was hurt but mainly confused on why she would say such a thing.

How can an individual pretend to love someone for three years? He had nothing more to say. He retrieved the glass of whiskey from the dresser and sat back in the chair. Three years of his life he spent making sure she was happy. Only to end up with nothing.

Never again.

Love was nothing more than a fantasy that wasn't destined to be true. Love was nothing more than broken words that held no meaning.