Savior

Who is Rachel Garner?

"... the devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for ..."

The sound of Rachel's heels echoed in the abandoned hallway. Gracefully walking, she recollected the memories throughout her high school years. To the left of where she stood, she experienced her first heartbreak. The same people she grew up with abandoned her for situations she had no control over. Several meters down, she fought her then best friend-Rosemary.

High school changed her Rachel. The only problem was that she didn't know whether it was beneficial or not. She craved a due over, to rewrite the situations that broke her.

She blinked her eyes several times in an attempt to stop her tears from running her mascara. Despite missing several months of her senior year, Rachel still managed to graduate with perfect grades. Even with the proof, there was a nagging feeling that the teachers only passed her out of pity. Stopping in front of a locker that once occupied her personal belongings, she sighed heavily.

It was the knowledge of what her future holds that terrified her the most. Although Rachel agreed to take a year off for schooling to focus on her upcoming marriage, she was uncertain about what she wanted to do with the rest of her life. One thing that she was certain of was that she wanted to be more than a stay-at-home wife.

"It feels so surreal. One minute we're running the halls, trying to make it to our next class on time, and the next, we're going our separate ways..." Said Skylar. A saddened and regretful expression masked her features.

Skylar's and Rachel's friendship was anything but perfect. A simple misunderstanding forced them to part, but it only made their bond stronger. It was Rachel who felt as though she was now putting her friendship on the back burner.

"We went from playing in the mud together to getting our license to graduating high school in a blink of an eye. I'm still trying to process everything myself." Ryan shook his head.

"I missed so much of senior year that it feels as if I missed out on the major events. Now I'm being pushed out into the world, and I'm scared. What if I fail again?" Rachel's eyes finally met her long-time best friends.

"You never failed at anything in life. If anything, you overcame every obstacle that was thrown your way. I admire the woman you have become, and I have never been more proud of you. The only thing I regret is you not agree to travel with us before college starts."

That's right. Rachel opted out of traveling with Ryan and Skylar to be with Davis. "You'll have your friends forever, but shouldn't we finally focus on our relationship?" Davis had said with pleading eyes. She loved him but sometimes her relationship felt like a chore. Granted he saved her from her abusers, and gave her everything she ever wanted, she still wanted her individuality. The only reason she considered his words was because Ryan was her ex-lover. If Davis were to travel with a female she would feel uncomfortable as well.

"I'll give it some thought. I would love to meet you guys for a month before my schedule become hectic. Just let me arrange some things at home and I'll get back to you."

Before Skylar could respond, her body tensed. Her eyes traveled past Rachel's form, connecting with the intimidating gaze of Davis's. "It's like he has some type of tracker on you." She mumbled before excusing herself. Ryan regretfully followed Skylar. It was as if his chest was tightening, restricting him from breathing. There was a point in time when everything felt right when Rachel was in his arms. Nothing else mattered when he saw her smile from the simplest things.