Or, I assume, since I've never had a boyfriend.

"Why would he want me?"

"I'm not fielding that one, Princess." He chuckled.

While I appreciated the fact he was now wide awake, I didn't appreciate the humor at my expense.

How is he laughing at this?

"Oh, yes you are." I glared at him through narrowed eyes. "Humor me."

"At the risk of sounding like an ass, I have no idea." As my glare intensified and I imagined shooting lasers at him, he added, "Honestly, that information was never shared with me. You'd have to ask Alpha Faelon."

"Oh gawd." I rubbed one hand over my forehead, massaging as the weight of a very bad decision crashed down on me again. "So, when I rejected Lucus..."

Cole barked out another laugh that felt like a poke straight into my ego. "Yeah, kinda fucked up there, Princess."

My eyes rolled and I rubbed my forehead again. "You're not helpful... but that's why my father was mad," I mumbled more to myself.

Cole nodded, but couldn't help himself, "Not your best decision."

"He already had a mate!" I snapped at the teasing undertone in his voice. "Look me in the eye and tell me that you'd be happy being forced to be with someone other than Elena."

"I'm not arguing from the personal side, Princess." He gave me a wry smile. "Just the political. You asked for a political opinion."

"BS, Cole!" I balled my hands into fists. "Politically, someone, anyone, could have told me... since, I don't know!? It kind of involved me!"

And knowing that would have influenced my decision. I could've thrown a pie in Lucus' face instead.

I clenched my teeth so the 'including you if you hadn't been so wrapped up with Elena' response biting my tongue remained unsaid. Instead, I crossed my arms over my chest and whooshed an exhale out puffed cheeks.

"So, future Southern Gamma," my voice cut through the air and I sunk my nails into the soft flesh of my upper arms. "How did that happen? I thought you lived -"

"Until my sister died," Cole clenched his jaw. "When I was twelve, my parents sent me to live in the packhouse. I grew up with - uhh, you'll meet them."

"The twins?" He nodded, so I added another curious question, "Are they identical?"

"Nope." He chuckled. "I grew up with Theo and Caleb. They're... I don't know. Like brothers."

Less than helpful.

Correction: if they're like Cole's brothers then I probably should scratch both of the possible mate list.

For once, Lumi offered no opinion... Not even her default, 'not mate.'

Cole released the happiest laugh I'd ever heard out of him. A borderline snort came out from remembering his teenage buddies. "Sorry, you'll see."

Rolling my eyes, my deteriorating patience spat out, "And is trading away one's children also common practice in the South?"

"No," he snapped back. "Your father's agreement with Fallon is beyond weird. He does things... his own way."

"Great," I mumbled and shifted away.

This was not the conversation I thought we'd have, and now I have questions about Alpha Faleon's interests in me to add to the list I already had.