"Hardly, Zara." He scoffed, cracking his neck by drawing each ear to the nearest shoulder. "More like if I'm irritated, then I'm more likely to be awake. I've met pups who are more mature than you."

At the risk I proved his point, I stuck my tongue out at him. What I wanted to do was threaten him with silence but the last thing either of us needed was him nodding off. As I racked my brain, I only found one conversation topic that didn't involve Elena.

"Wait a minute..." I frowned at Cole as a realization struck my mind. "You're a... future Gamma?"

"Yeah," he replied without a glance in my direction. "What are you getting at?"

"So, you know political stuff, right?" I rolled sideways, resting my left shoulder against the seat that had become uncomfortable hours ago.

With a flat, emotionless voice, he grunted, "What kind of 'stuff' are you talking about?"

"Pack politics," I replied, although that didn't provide any more clarity. "I need to know, umm... something."

"Narrow that down, Princess."

"Why was Baron there for the Northern territory visit?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "Don't vaguely say securing my father's interests. What were they?"

"Like you said..." He sighed, a soft sound pushed out between the thundering rain. "I don't have all the details."

"But you have some information," I pressed into the words he didn't say.

With his sharp breath and hesitation, I assumed he knew information I wouldn't like hearing. The idea of withholding information for my own sake gouged discomfort into me. My insides felt like they were twisted into knots.

Like I can't be trusted with my own truths.

"Cole..." I warned him with a sharp tone, my hands curling around the seatbelt. "Nothing you can tell me would hurt compared to what I found out in the East."

He pressed his lips into a firm line, then puffed them out with his exhale. "He was securing a contract between his pack and Alpha Faelon's."

My eyebrows drew together and the vague falling out shipping deal that I pitched for a reason to go north first resurfaced. "Like a work contract?"

"Normally yes, but this one was... uhh, personal," he admitted with a weight of discomfort in his voice. His hand lifted and rubbed against the back of his neck. "Years ago, Alpha Faelon did a... favor for your father."

I opened my mouth but he added, "And I don't know what it was, before you ask."

"Okaaaaayy," I dragged out the word. "Do you know what Alpha Faelon wanted in return?"

"Umm.. yeah." He cleared his throat, which turned into a fit of bark-like coughs.

"Cole," I warned him as my eyebrows pinched tight.

"Alright, you," he spat out. "He... wanted you."

I leaned into the doorway, staring at Cole because that was the last answer I expected. "Me!?" I squeaked out.

Any sense of earlier drowsiness shot out of me like a bullet out a barrel. My eyes couldn't have blinked faster if I tried.

My father was trading me... like property!? This gets worse the more information I learn.

A small thread of flattery that Alpha Faelon 'wanted' me spun through my stunned silent state, but it was quickly replaced by the weight from my rejection of Lucus. What I thought was a simple act of kindness hung around like a bad ex-boyfriend who couldn't take the hint.