Twenty Six: the ultrasound

(This is sorta a filler chapter. Please leave me some comments at the end of what you'd ideally want to see! More pregnancy stuff? Smut? More CM characters? Leave me your ideas! Xo)

"I'm so fucking nervous."

"Babe... you'll be okay. I'm right here with you every step okay," Matthew reassured me as he gave my thigh a little squeeze.

We were sitting in his car in the parking lot outside the doctors office. I was getting my first ultrasound done and I was so nervous because I didn't know what to expect. We'd gotten a proper positive test from my doctor and made this appointment for an 8 week ultrasound.

"They're going to rub some goop on you and check some things out. They'll look for heartbeat, make sure baby is where they're supposed to be, estimate the due date, and see how many little beans there actually are... maybe twins!" Matthew winked.

"Don't even joke about that I'll throw up. How do you know all this stuff any way?"

"I did my googling. I want to be prepared. So I can really you know... help when I can. I wanna be there for you Lily."

I let out a big exhale, hoping that would subdue the nausea long enough to make it into the appointment room. Before I could turn to let myself out of the car Matthew was outside and holding the door for me. He lent me a hand to get out and led me to the office building.

We had to sit in a waiting room for what felt like an hour. Matthew seemed more nervous that I was. His leg was bouncing and he was fiddling with my fingers in his hand.

Finally the doctor called us in. I was strewn out on the table like a fish on a slab. Matthew was right about the goop, it was cold and smelled weird.

He made jokes the whole time to keep me distracted and entertained.  Pretending to scoop up some ultrasound goop with his finger and taste it... telling me that the stuff he tried when he was pregnant was more minty.

Then he was trying to balance cotton balls in his hair and putting tongue depressors under his nose like a moustache. I giggled through it all and he saw that he was doing his job and making me smile. He grinned right back and then used the wheely chair to slide right next to me again.

"So what is it Doc? Human? Pumpkin? Ghost baby? Too much pie?" Matthew joked with the technician.

"Look here," the tech said as she turned the screen toward us. "That's your baby."

Matthew fell quiet and grabbed my hand.

I stared at the blob on the screen for a second and then peeled my eyes over to Matthew. The father of my child was staring at the screen with an open mouth and tears in his eyes.

"Are you crying?" I asked sort of harshly.

He cleared his throat. "I'm... yeah," he coughed. "Lily look what we did." The tears spilled over.

I laughed and swiped them off his cheek with my thumb.

"To think we have to tell your parents and I've never even met them," I said.

"My moms coming to town for Christmas. She's excited to meet you. We can tell her then." Matthew leaned in to kiss my forehead.

"Baby is healthy," the technician chimed in. "Due date is August 11th. You're due for another ultrasound at the beginning of February. Valentine's Day you'll likely know the gender of the baby if you want to."

I squeezed Matthews hand with excitement. He squeezed back and we locked eyes. God how I loved that man.

I left the appointment feeling excited and still a a little nauseous. We decided that we'd tell Janie and Johnny first, and then over Christmas we'd share the news with our families together since they'd all be in town. I knew that Matthew had told his family about me. I'd seen the texts to his mom anyway. He had no idea that I haven't told my mom at all. This would make for an interesting holiday.

I was flipping through the ultrasound photos in the car as we drove back.

"Can we just go show Janie now. Please please please... we gotta pickup rumple anyway. Pleaaaaaase, I can't wait any longer," I begged.

Matthew rolled his eyes playfully and gave my leg a squeeze as to say yes.

"Fuck yeah I'm stoked."

"You better be careful Mama no swearing in front of the kids."

Hearing him call me Mama was so cute. I bit my bottom lip in response.

"Oh don't be doing that while Daddy is driving."

I swallowed hard. He just called himself daddy.

"Matthew."

"Sorry sorry haha I immediately felt like Shemar when I said it out loud and regretted it but it was kinda funny you gotta admit."

"It was kinda hot is what it was... but yeah, Shemar has definitely said that one to many times in his life."

We pulled up at Janies place and Johnny's car was out front.

"Good we can tell them together," I nodded towards Johnny's car as Matthew opened my door for me again.

Janie lived in a basement suite. We let ourselves in her back door and Rumple came tumbling over to greet us excitedly.

**Matthew fell to the floor by the wall and Rumple crawled over to lie beside him. They both had big smiles as Matthew played with him and gave him scratches. "Hey buddy hey Daddy missed you."

"God that is grossly adorable," Janie scoffed at Matthew on the floor. "Hi Gube."

"Hey Janie thanks for taking care of this monster."

I went to sit on the couch with Johnny and we watched Matthew and the dog together.

"How'd your... what was it? Appointment? How'd it go anyway?" Janie asked. We'd told her I had a doctors appointment and that's why we needed her to dog sit for a bit but she had no idea what for.

"Actually, we have some news for you..." I said patting the couch beside me.

Janie mashed herself between Johnny and I, and leaned into Johnny's shoulder to listen to what I had to say next.

"Do you prefer Aunt or Auntie?"

On cue Matthew came over, slipped behind me and placed his hands on my lower belly. Janie shot up straight wide eyed and bushy tailed.

"SHUT UP!!!!" She squealed. "Are you really?! OH MY GOD!"

Janie tackled Matthew and I in a giant hug.

"Wait...are you what? What is happening? I missed something," Johnny said. He didn't catch on to the hints at all.

"Johnny you freaking idiot theyre pregnant!" Janie practically screamed.

"Eh! Nice man. Congrats."

Janie rolled her eyes, "boys".

Matthew and Johnny continued talking about "guy stuff" as Janie said. While Janie and I looked at the ultrasound photos together at her kitchen table.

"You guys have a name picked?" She asked.

"Name? Jesus Janie. I haven't even met his mom yet. One thing at a time here dude."

"He's probably bummed you can't call it rumple," she nodded over to where Matthew was on the couch. His limbs were flying around playing with dog and his hair was bouncing around his face. He looked so perfect. His gold chain dangled where his shirt was open at his chest. His perfect jawline was sharp in the glow of the sun. And he would smile so big it would wrinkle his cheeks. Then he did this sort of half pursed lip thing between smiling and talking. It made my heart flutter just as much as when he scratched his chin with the back of his thumb. All the little things Matthew would do to give me butterflies and he didn't even know it. I remembered that first date when he'd arranged for flowers to be sent to the table for me. Now a few months later and I was in love with him. He was playing with our dog and I was carrying his baby.

Janie snapped her fingers in front of me. "Earth to Lily. You in there? Too in love..."

"Sorry. What?"

"Haha you two are drooling for each other. He'll be a great dad."

"Yeah, he will be..."