One: the preparation

We still had two weeks before the Halloween convention but Janie really wanted to sort out our outfits/costumes this weekend, and I can't say no to my best friend. Texting her would be easiest.

Halloween shopping time! Omw to pick you up. Be there in 15.

Janie waiting on her front stoop when I arrived wasn't a surprise. She climbed into the passenger seat quickly and was buckled in before I could say hi. "I already know exactly what my outfit theme will be. Look at these stockings! We can get them from that party store at the East end of the mall I'm sure."
Janie was showing me outfit inspiration photos on her phone as we drove. I had no idea what I wanted to wear but I didn't think it really mattered. Halloween was sort of her thing, and I was just being a good friend going along.

"How about this purple?" Janie suggested, holding up a bright eggplant coloured button up shirt. "Sure," I agreed, "Can I just wear cute Halloween colours, or does it have to be a costume?" She rolled her eyes and picked out a tight fitted suede skirt with a zipper up the front, and a little gem detail dangling from the zipper closure. I liked the light brown colour, and I could tuck the purple button up in. Maybe wear it unbuttoned a little at the top with stockings for a cute fall coloured outfit. Janie was in a full on vampire themed outfit. She picked a mini skirt and white ruffled blouse with a choker that resembled a cape collar. Her finishing touches were giving me what she called "pumpkin ears". A headband like cat ears, but instead it was little glittery pumpkins on tiny springs. Janie had small plastic vampire teeth on hers. These would be the outfits we wore the weekend of the convention.

It was a pretty big event, everything halloween themed. There was going to be mini haunted houses throughout, apple cider tastings, and panels where some of Janie's favourite horror book authors and movie actors would be hosting Q&A's.

The morning of Day One of the Halloween convention we got ready in my bathroom, fixed each other's makeup and hair, and Janie picked out a cute but uncomfortable pair of heels that "just went too perfectly!" with my outfit. I complained about having to wear these heels now, but later that evening I would change my mind...