1.5

ALPHA DRAMA AND RISKS

"I SWEAR, I'M gonna—" Wyatt's arms wrapped around my waist right before I pulled open the door to the room Declan was in. My eyes were glowing brightly and my fangs were bared, a sign that I was more than pissed off. My jaw clenched tightly. "Wyatt, let me go," I growled out.

"Believe me, I would've let you do this two days ago, but I can't now. We do anything to him, we endanger everyone." He kept his arms around my waist and turned me to face him. "Take a breath. You don't know if he knew what Josh and Willow were planning."

I tried to focus on Wyatt's words, but I was still too upset and frustrated with the entire situation. I would never say it aloud, but I was scared and the feeling was beginning to take over my entire body. My chest rose and fell with the deep breaths I took, my eyes still glowing as I did so. I clenched my palms, forcing my claws to dig into my skin.

"Coraline," Wyatt spoke again, his voice more firm than before. The boy gripped my waist and the action made me look up to him. His eyes shone their perfect golden color briefly, as if he was acknowledging that he understood why I was upset. Without breaking eye contact, he took my clenched hands into his and carefully opened them. "Breathe," he said softly, running his thumbs over the backs of my hands. "It's gonna be okay, I promise. We're gonna figure this out and everyone'll be safe, alright?"

His reassurances calmed me to an extent and I was thankful he knew what to say. But no matter what, the worries still lingered in my mind.

Wyatt's grasp travelled from my hands and up my arms, his palms finally finding their resting place on the sides of my face. He took a step closer and rested his forehead against mine, closing his eyes after a moment. I let out a breath. "If something happens tomorrow night, if Josh tries to pull something—"

"I won't let anything happen to you, Cora."

"Wyatt." I placed my hands over his, causing his eyes to open. "I'm being serious. If they try something, you run, okay? They can shift fully. That gives them the advantage and—"

"I'm not going to leave you behind. We do this together. Always. Got it?"

"Wyatt, please. If you get hurt because of this I won't be able to forgive myself," I told him softly. "This is my mess, let me fix it."

I could feel a low chuckle reverberate through his chest. "You're so stubborn sometimes, you know that?" He looked into my eyes, a sudden wave of seriousness coming through his features. "Your mess is my mess, too. I'm not letting you do this alone, so deal with it."

My brows furrowed as a small smile pulled at my lips. "'Deal with it?'" I quoted rhetorically.

"Deal with it."

"You're actually gonna go meet him?"

"I don't have a choice, Willa." I crossed my arms over my chest stiffly. "Wyatt is coming with me, I won't be alone. But he's stubborn, chances of him actually doing what I ask are about zero."

The girl stayed quiet for a moment and my brows began to furrow as I stepped closer to her.

"You think I'm making the wrong call?" I asked in an obvious tone.