.8

A HAUNTING PAST

WYATT QUESTIONED DECLAN for the next thirty-five minutes about what had been said, but the boy didn't get very far. Declan kept quiet and rarely answered the questions Wyatt threw at him, which only made my boyfriend want to know more. I could tell what Declan had announced set Wyatt on edge. In his eyes, this meant that the threat we had been mulling over for the past few months was after me. He didn't like that.

I stayed for the first half of his interrogation, which only led to Declan silently pleading for me to take Wyatt out of the room and give the blond some peace.

"Who is he?" he had asked me.

"I'm her boyfriend," Wyatt answered at the same time as me. "He's my beta," I'd answered, causing both of us to look to one another.

"Well, that makes more sense," Declan commented.

"Why was he sent to find you?" Wyatt asked.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "If I did, you'd be the first to know." I was annoyed that I had no clue why Declan was here, and even more so when the outsider didn't tell us why and left us with the vague answer of to find me.

"I'm going to see if I can get anymore answers out of him." Wyatt stood from his seat on the bed and went to leave, but I stepped in front of him and placed a hand on his chest. "Cora, move. If he was sent to find you, that means there's someone after you and I need to figure out why." His voice became softer as he spoke to me, eventually becoming a low tone.

"I know, but you need a break. We interrogated the kid for the past half hour and didn't get anything else out of him." I gave him a small smile. "We got him and that's enough for now." I let my arms trail up his chest and wrap around his neck. "Besides, we have a pack of hungry wolves and a hunt to lead," I reminded him, pressing a chaste kiss to his lips afterwards. He was reluctant, but a smile found its way to his mouth.

"Fine," he agreed. Wyatt leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on my forehead. "But I'm taking point."

Two hours later we found ourselves all sitting in the den and talking amongst ourselves as we ate. It had been a long day and it was nice that it ended in a successful hunt.

The pack was more relaxed now that they knew we were starting to get an idea of why our unwanted guest was here. I could see some of the kids tossing small pieces of food at one other. Most of the parents weren't even scolding them for their behavior, they were just glad to see their kids having fun.

"How'd your interrogation go?" A familiar voice came from beside me. I turned to see Wynona looking to me with her brows raised as she sat down.

I shrugged. "As well as could be expected. Wyatt might go back later and ask a few more questions." She let out a soft chuckle at my words, making a confused expression pass over my face.

"You two never stop working do you?" She shook her head jokingly. Wynona looked past me and to Wyatt, who was talking to Wynter and a few other werewolves. "That's why you fit so well together, I suppose." She quieter down for a moment, seemingly thinking. "Y'know, sometimes I think about what it would be like if you never became the alpha...I honestly don't think we would've gotten as far as we did if you didn't." The woman pulled me in for a side-hug, giving a warm smile as she did so.

It was still nice to know that the pack approved of me becoming their leader and the choices that I'd made so far. I couldn't express how thankful I was that they had my back and would be there for me like I was for them. It was a family, just like how Wyatt had said a few years ago. I was honored to be a part of it and be able to contribute to its future.

The sudden echo of a howl sounded into the den, causing all of the wolves to freeze in their positions. Everyone could tell that howl didn't belong to a wolf from our pack; the tone was simply different than ours. It was sharp and alluring, wanting of someone to meet the werewolf it belonged to. My head turned as my eyes met Wyatt's, both of us sharing a knowing look before we began to stand up. The boy quickly shook his head and rested his hand on mine for a moment, silently telling me to stay put and he'd handle it.

"Wyatt, no," I said lowly, shaking my head back at him.

"Just wait here with them. I'll be back," he assured. His hand slowly fell from its contact against mine and to his side. I watched as he walked out of the room and rounded the corner before leaving, the diminishing sound of footsteps ringing in my ears.

The minutes of his absence burned into my mind as I waited for his return. My arms crossed over my chest as I waited for his figure to come forward from the shadows of the den, but it didn't. Ten more minutes passed. Eventually, I gave the word for most of the pack to go to their rooms for the night, not wanting them to worry about the situation.

Willa, Wynter, and Ada were the three that were left by my side.

I needed Wyatt to walk back into the den, but not matter how hard I wished or prayed, he didn't. So, I took matters into my own hands. Turning on my heel, I set my hands on my hips and faced the three wolves.

"I'm gonna go after him. If one wolf can do that much damage to Wynter, imagine what an entire pack can do to Wyatt." I looked to Willa and Wynter. "While I'm gone, you two are in charge. Ada will help you guys if you need it. If we aren't back by noon tomorrow...something probably happened. You can decide whether to send someone after us or not. I don't think it'd be safe, but it's your choice." The two began nodding, already knowing they wouldn't change my mind.

"You better come back." Willa pulled me into a quick hug before Wynter pulled me into one of her own.

"I'll try."