─ FORTY-TWO. REAL LIFE

Start from the beginning

"That was fine. Your feet were almost crossed so try to fix that, but it's not a big deduction if you do that during the actual vault" My mom nodded, "I'd prefer if you stuck it though"

"I'll stick it. I don't know why there was a big hop" I walked off to the side.

I sat down next to Maile and watched as the women's rotation started. The second girl up, from China, got injured doing her vault and that slowed the competition down.

I checked my phone while waiting and saw a text from Shawn.

pool boy: please don't fall when you do your vault

favorite girl: i won't, you saw my warmup vault i ALMOST stuck it
favorite girl: i can't believe you're actually watching the comp doe

pool boy: lauren is explaining everything to me i'm not really paying attention this is new and confusing

favorite girl: LMAOOO have fun baby ill ttyl

I looked around the audience, searching for that familiar face as I waited to do my vault. When I couldn't find him, I let out a sigh of relief. Maybe he didn't actually come to the competition after all.

"Just do your thing. Fuck boys" I whispered quietly to myself.

After the first rotation, where I did my vault, I was in third place. While I was gripping up, my eyes unconsciously wandered to where Shawn was sitting. I smiled at Shawn but my smile faded when I saw somebody behind him waving to me. Shawn followed my line of sight, seeing my smile fade, and saw him sitting a few rows behind him. Shawn nudged Affinity and I could almost hear the string of curse words coming out of her mouth.

I shook my head and walked up to the uneven bars. Bars was one of my best events, I was not going to let him ruin it for me. My uneven bars routine was pretty close to perfect, if you ask me. My mother would point out every single little flaw she saw, but I guess that comes with being my coach. This apparatus put me in first place. But next came the balance beam and the beam was right in front of Shawn and Teo. That stressed me out.

"Mom, I'm gonna use the restroom" I told her and walked out of the main area.

As I was pacing back and forth in the restroom, I heard a knock. Affinity came in, "I saw you walk off"

"I'm fine" I nodded.

"Hey," Affinity said loudly, getting my attention. I turned my head to look at her.

"No. Ignore him. He's not gonna hurt you again and I'm pretty sure with Shawn here, he's not gonna try talking to you" Affinity said sternly, "I know it's hard, but I need you to get out of your head. You're gonna win this, okay? For yourself. You've been thriving since last summer. Don't let seeing him again ruin your win streak"

I nodded, hugging Affinity, "Thanks"

"You're welcome. Shawn's outside waiting for you" Affinity smiled and walked out of the restroom. I quickly checked over my makeup and exited the restroom.

"Nova" Shawn breathed out, pulling me into a hug.

"Hey" I buried my face in his chest.