Chapter Twenty - A Proper Home

I lay Tsukiko to sleep on our futon. It does not take long despite her protests. After a day of feasting and celebration, she's done in. I am, too.

I lean back against Mitsuaki, and he wraps his arms around me. My hand goes to his wrist, and we stare at our child in the wan light of a blue paper lantern. This is my life now, the only human in an enchanted castle full of yōkai in a land never touched by evil or disease. My heart is filled with joy to bursting. There is nowhere else I would rather be.

This is the first of a hundred years of nights that I will not age. It seems like so much time, but I know better. In a world without a true sun, where my husband's face remains the same, it will fly by. One day, the hand that rests upon his smooth flesh will be wrinkled and withered. The thought hurts my heart. Not for me, but for him.

Thankfully, that day is still long off, and I will be made new again. My love is eternal and he will wait for me across time. All those nights in my brother's house, I wished for love, dreamed to be with a family of my own. My first marriage was short, loveless, and barren, so I did not believe myself worthy. That did not stop my heart from yearning. I think my spirit was calling out to Mitsuaki all along. I caress his pinky with mine. Even though I cannot see or touch it, I believe in the red thread that connects us.

I feel his warmth against my back and press into him. His soft tails encircle my body in their loving caresses. I smile and close my eyes, enjoying it. Mitsuaki was right, he has ruined me for human men. They say that yōkai cast shadows over the hearts of humans. I think that's true. Mitsuaki's shadow is long and dark, and its vulpine shape eclipses the sun itself.

But I have left my mark on him, as well. He will never love another because he is a yōkai. Once they become fixated on something or someone, they never stray. Their love endures for centuries, where a human's resolve crumbles within a day. I dwell forever in Mitsuaki's heart, past, present, and future. It is all the same to him.

Not for me. Like my namesake, I am a firefly, glowing brilliant in the night before fading out of time. Even one hundred years is a blink in the eye of the long now. It can never be enough either of us. I know Mitsuaki wants more, and if he can steal a way to keep me by his side forever, he will.

I gaze up at Mitsuaki now, and he peers down. His inhuman eyes tell the tale of his devotion. How I love that brilliant shade, so like the sea! I move his hand down to where our son is growing inside of me. It has only been a few hours, but I didn't need the god to tell me. My body knows, and I could not be happier.

Mitsuaki pulls me tight against him and nuzzles my neck. I gasp at the sharp nip of his slender fangs. Already I feel my body respond to his, and I am not as tired as I was a second ago. I press my hand to his head, my fingers brushing the velvety soft fur of his ear. His groan is a breathy whisper in my ear. Soon we shall return to our room and enjoy one another properly. It is our wedding night, after all.

For the first time in my life I am happy. Everything is going to be all right now. I know it.

The End