Placing her palm on her belly she squeaked “Mera Nonu” her voice was so feeble he could barely hear her, but he definitely knew what she had said.

He turned to her and saw her eyes were equally brimmed as his.

The doctor probably sensed their fright and spoke again

“Calm down both of you. For any first timer this news could sound earth shattering I understand. But there is still a sliver of hope.” The kind doctor smiled but Sidharth and Shehnaaz looked at her like she was some goddess.

“I said it was a threatened miscarriage, not an actual one” She pointed at the scan “You see this uterus has a lining of tissues, that covers the foetus” her pen rotated around the cavity of uterus that was flashing against the light.

It looked like an oval shaped hollow and inside the hollow was a small bean shaped mass, their Sugar Plum, who was already putting up a fight for its survival.

Sidharth’s gaze broke and trained back to the doctor as she spoke again “In case of a miscarriage this entire lining as well as the unformed foetus is shed thru the vagina in the form of blood and clots, but in case of a threatened miscarriage, only this lining is shed by the uterus. Which is precisely what happened in Mrs. Shukla’s case” As soon as the doctor finished speaking, Sidharth grinned happily, his tears were now replaced with happy ones.

He looked at Shehnaaz but she was still crying, unable to understand the medical jargons thrown her way. He hugged her shoulders in elation and explained her, what the doctor said.

“sugar plum is safe baby, its there, its safe jaan, kuch nahi hua usko” Sidharth smiled wiping her tears with the pad of his thumb.

His body felt lax, like a boulder has been lifted off him, until the doctor started to speak again.

“But there is still a big risk wa have to watch out for. A threatened Miscarriage may not always lead to a miscarriage. Infact 50% women come out of this smiling and deliver healthy babies at the end of their term. But it is a pre warning the body gives you, that the tables can turn anytime. It could happen anytime during the first 13 weeks. I will prescribe some vitamins and mild antibiotics, and a good balanced diet with a lot of protein, which will help in strengthening Mrs. Shukla’s body” she took the file Sidharth handed her and started writing as she spoke

“But please make sure she is on complete bed rest. A little movement in the house is fine but nothing strenuous like exercising or even going to work for a week. And yes” she looked at Sidharth this time “No intercourse until things are back to normal." she spoke as he nodded in agreement.

"In a week’s time we will know the exact health of the foetus and the certainty of this pregnancy” She delivered the final blow and looked at the hapless couple expecting some questions or doubts.

But they both were rendered speechless. Just when they thought they had misread the entire situation and everything was fine, a looming sword was back on their heads.

“Doc..are thi..things alright? I m..mean what can we do to make sure that… that out baby is safe?” Sidharth stuttered. His hand held hers the entire time.

“Like I said, as of now I have given her the required dosage of medicines, and continuation of that and adequate rest will be enough to pull your baby out of danger.

But please take utmost care and if there is anything you feel that is alarming, please call me anytime, without hesitation” the doctor said closing their discussion.

They stood up to leave, Sidharth supported her with his arm around all the way as they walked to the car in silence.

Once they sat in the car and Sidharth buckled her carefully keeping the belt loose around her, Shehnaaz hid her face in her hands and started sobbing.

They were both facing their worst nightmare. Considering how easy her pregnancy had progressed so far, this was like a rude shock for them. Sidharth’s eyes watered too. 

But he had to be strong for the both of them. He wiped rubbed his face and eyes and contained himself.

“Baby calm down, doctor ne kya bola suna na.. Sugar plum is safe. And we will make sure ki iske aage bhi kuch na ho” his voice was gentle

“This crying and weeping will put you into more stress jaan. Please for my sake stop crying love” his hand patted her head softly but his voice cracked nevertheless.

She looked at him, teary eyed “Mujhe darr lag raha hai bebu..hamare nonu ko kuch ho gaya toh” her petrified face churned him inside out as her words which were choking in her throat cut thru him.

Sidharth pulled her to him “shhhh.. chup chup.. please shant ho ja..Babaji ne bacha liya hai hamare baby ko, ek chance diya hai, aur hum puri koshish karenge ki sab theek ho. Please please stop crying now” the tears he had been holding up finally spilled but he held her head on his chest drifting his fingers thru her hair softly.

He made a silent promise to himself, that he would stay strong for the both of them and make sure that Shehnaaz comes out of this triumphant.

____________________________________________

Sorry guys hv bn MIA for two days.. had to travel on an urgent notice.. a freind was in need.

Hope u enjoy this chapter..

Please don't forget to vote..comment and share my story with your friends and fellow readers..

Love u all

Sidnaazkidiwani