Chapter 19: The New Boy

Start from the beginning

"I should have given up the Miraculous for someone Worthy. I abandoned Paris because I am a selfish. I am unfit to be Ladybug, Tikki. It's been years and each time I only barely succeeded at staying alive during an Akuma attack. It's only a question of time before Hawkmoth wins. I should have thrown away the damned earrings long ago and I could have avoided all these stupid problems..."

"Remain calm, Marinette." Tikki sobbed "It's been months since Hawkmoth did anything..." .

"Tikki!" gasped Marinette. "You are crying!"

Improportionaly large tears dropped on Marinette's laptop.

Tikki sobbed again. "I am sorry. I am going to move some where I won't cause you any more stupid problems." Tikki flew over and hovered over a trashcan, her tears dropping on the metal like little coins.

Marinette jumped up, realizing. "Tikki, I didn't mean it like that - you don't cause me problems - I, I love you Tikki!" she hugged the tiny Kwami tight. "It's me... I am the problem."

Tikki wiped her tears, voice weak. "Maybe Hawkmoth is gone. He probably is. Or he gave up, who knows...?"

"You think people like him give up?"

--------

Marinette sighed. She just couldn't figure it out. Buying all the materials she needed online was more complicated than it had any right to be. Even auto Translate left her to suck her thumbs.

This cursed language. Not even Google understands it...

Someone knocked on the door.

Marinette and Tikki exchanged glances. Unsolicited social contact didn't rank amongst top 5 most fun things to do in the morning on Marinette's list. She dragged herself to the door and opened it with a sigh.

Marinette nearly shut the door again. She almost crushed the door handle as she held back her scream.

"God, he is gorgeous." she whispered involuntarily.

"Bonjour." smiled the jet black haired boy standing in the doorway. Head taller, probably a year older. Marinette's heart stopped.

"Y-you speak French?"

"I do." flames flickered in his red-green eyes. "Thank you, by the way.

Marinette blushed harder than Ginny Weasley ever did.

"I am Veet. I am supposed to be the city guide of a certain Adrien Agreste."

"Oh." Marinette swallowed. "Well he is not here. He is out meeting his teachers and tutors... Sorry."

"Ah." nodded Veet. "And you have to be... Marinette, right?"

Marinette played with her hair. "Y-yes, that's me."

"Well, Marinette, I brought Adrien something."

"Please..." she let him in, noticing the box he was holding. Her mind was so foggy she didn't even realize she let a complete stranger inside.

He walked inside as if he owned the place, which, judging by his expensive and stylish clothes, almost might have been the case.

She shook her head. "What... What did you bring him if I may ask?"

Veet placed the box on a nearby table. "I thought he'd appreciate some proper Czech breakfast, but after seeing the restaurant I doubt he would be interested..."

"No, no, no, he is interested!" Marinette said as she leaned in the box and took out something resembling a sandwich. "Very interested."

Veet chuckled. "Right... Anyways, he is often like that? Focused on self improvement, learning and such."

"Yep... It's crazy" she said between bites. Whatever she was eating, it was good.

"I see. I admire that. How many hours does he train?"

"He works from waking up until he goes to sleep again, but he enjoys it most of the time."

"Most of the time?"

"There are times with his Father when it's not the easiest..." Why am I telling him all this? It's those confident eyes. It's like staring into an autumn forest while sipping tea with honey or something. Wait, what ? "I am sorry, are you French or something?"

"French?" Veet smiled. "I have fifteen generations of pure czech blood running through my veins." he said proudly.

"Oh. It's just that you have a great accent. You have to be really good at languages."

"No, not really, I can only speak Czech, Slovak, Russian, German, English, Spanish and French."

"Oh, only? That's nothing." she waved her hand as she bit into another almost-sandwich.

"My father made sure. It's good for making new relationships."

"Same for Adrien. Apart from the relationship part."

"It seems like Adrien and his father don't get along that well, do they?" Veet said sadly.

"His father can be cold..."

Veet nodded empathically. "Cold... Maybe that's why Adrien took refuge in liking cats?"

Liking cats? Marinette frowned. "Wait, why are you asking me all these questions?"

"I need to get up to speed to adjust the stay to his personality and needs. That's my responsibility as a premium guide for international relations, Marinette. I would adress these questions to him directly, if he was present, believe me. We were supposed to meet right on the unfortunate day of you being quarantined." he frowned back.

"I am sorry about that."

Veet waved his hand. "We can't change the past, we can only prepare for the future. I was promised three meetings with him before his first fencing match but it looks like I won't get a single one. " he sighed, then smiled. "I see 'he' found the food really interesting after all."

Marinette looked in the box. Empty. She crossed her arms on her chest. "Did someone tell you Czechs that you make illegaly good food?"

He laughed. "Yes, actually. A lot of people compliment my cooking. And us Czechs supposedly have the best beer, even though I can't confirm. Not a fan of alcohol."

"Your cooking?"

"Yep, I got in a bit late. Cooking since twelve years old, still have a long way to go before going to cooking competitions."

Marinette gave him a puzzled look. "Lately I can't tell when people are serious or not." Especially when they tell me they love me, a silent voice whispered in her mind.

"Deadly serious. Winning is the greatest feeling on the planet." Veet's eyes stopped on Marinette's opened fashion book. He stepper closer, staring at her designs.

He turned at her. "Did someone tell you, Marinette, that you make illegaly magnificent designs?"

She blushed and waved her hands around. "No, and, oh, please don't tell Adrien. No one is supposed to see that, not even Adrien himself. It's a secret."

He smiled to himself. "Alright."

"While you are here, could you help me ordering a thing or two? No offense, but your language is confusing."

"I have never been so offended by something that I so completely agree with." he laughed. "Sure."

He helped her finally order everything she needed.

"Well, since he is not coming any time soon, I think it's a good time to say goodbye." he said.

"Again I am sorry for ruining your chances of learning about Adrien in time..."

"No worries. I think I learned enough." Veet buttoned up his noir detective coat. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Marinette."

He smiled at her thankfully on his way out.