Chapter 2

Tara and I sprinted out the school as soon as the bell rang. We ran as far as we could, sometimes swinging off each other's arms, and laughing. We stopped half way down the dirt path that led up to my house, panting.

"We've got to start working out." Tara panted, bending over to hold her knees. Her blue eyes looked at me, with a silly smile.

"Speak for yourself." I said, only slightly out of breath.

Tara held her hand out for me and I grabbed it, enclosing our fingers until our palms met. We walked together silently for awhile.

"Sunday's a full moon." Tara said softly, giving my hand a squeeze.

I smiled, nodding. "I can't wait."

"Your wolf is ready?" She asked, already knowing the answer. I let a moment of silence pass over us before I began to speak.

"It's Aiden's 18th birthday at midnight."

"Oh?" Tara thought out loud, looking over she squinted, "Is he excited?"

"I can't tell."

"It's a big life event." Tara added, kicking a rock. "I wonder who his wolf will choose."

18th birthdays are an important mile stone in every werewolf's life. The day you turn 18, you find your mate. The person you are destined to be with for the rest of your life. This is mostly for the male members of our society. Male's can imprint on younger females so it was uncommon enough that a female werewolf had to wait until her 18th birthday to find her mate.

"I hope I like whoever he imprints."

"You will!" Tara assured me. I wasn't as sure. Aiden had always preferred, what's a nice way to put this? Bimbos. I was hoping his wolf wasn't as dumb.

"Are you going to come to his party?" I asked her.

She grew silent for a moment and I looked over at her wondering what her silence was for.

"Am I allowed?"

Was she? I didn't know. She attended every birthday party that happened at my house since I met her, but this was an 18th birthday. My mind raced. If Tara wasn't allowed to Aiden's 18th, would she be allowed at mine? Would I even have one? Or would I be chosen by then?

Both of our concerns were interrupted by a loud howl.

"Ladies! We meet again." Garyson called happily.

"Where's Aiden?" I asked, pulling Tara behind me.

"He's...somewhere." Garyson motioned with his hands. "The festivities are beginning soon. Is Tara joining us?" He asked looking her up and down.

"Ew." I spat, pushing past him, and up the stairs into the house.

"Daddddd!" I called, looking around the dimly lit living room. The house was still and even with my hearing, I couldn't make out a noise. Tara and I climbed up the wooden stair case to my room.

The faded pink walls, posters, and other girl decor was a relaxing sight as compared to the rest of manly, dirty house. I slammed the door, crashing into the soft bed, Tara spreading herself out on the floor.

"I know I can't stay." Tara finally acknowledged. "I'm not part of the wolf club."

I  shrugged, suddenly feeling anxious. "Your club is cooler, Tara. And we don't know for sure you can't stay."

She rolled her eyes. "I can't stay but I will help you get ready for the party, though. Make sure your makeup is decent and you wearing something sexy."