Chapter 6

It's said that the first werewolf praised the Goddess of the Moon and gave blood sacrifices to her on full moons in exchange for receiving the gift of the werewolf. And so every full moon our human selves are forgotten and we change our shape. Not out of choice as we usually do but by force. It is sometimes painful and often times no one remembers the events of that night, but from stories in town and the news there will always been a large killing of animals in the woods and in town.

Full Moons were always hectic in our pack. People often gather together before, drinking (to dull the pain) and fasting since we would be eating quite a bit that night. Some would even take naps.

I woke up at 10, hoping my six hour nap would be enough for tonight. My wolf was always quite energetic and I always found myself totally exhausted the next day. Unfortunately, we had school tomorrow and I wasn't looking forward to sleeping through my classes.

There were about 15 people at the house when I woke up and I mumbled downstairs to see if Wes, Braydon, or Grayson had arrived yet. Searching the front porch I found no one but Grant who was sitting on the steps smoking.

"Nice hair." He muttered, pointing to the mess of a bun that topped my head.

"Fuck off." I crossed my arms and stood next to him.

"Looking for your boyfriends?" I side eyed him but didn't reply. "They're not here."

I sighed and looking down Grant held out his cigarette to me. Feeling a mixture of boredom and stress, I accepted it taking a puff. The smoke burned my lungs and I remembered why I wasn't a fan of smoking.

I handed it back to him turning on my heel.

"You're welcome." He called after me.

There was really no point in getting dressed since you have to undress to change at midnight anyway and feeling a little anti-social I decided to stick to my room.

I lazily laid on top of my bed and checked my phone. Three messages from Tara?

I slide the lock to check my phone quickly.

"Hey! I have a really bad feeling about tonight."

"Like witchy feelings."

"Text me back!!"

I quickly responded with a "What's up?"

The ellipsis bubble popped up to let me know she was typing. I bit my lip.

"I just have this really bad feeling. I'm really worried Ansley. Like really worried."

"Are you sure it's not just idk?"

"Yes! I know something is going to happen. I just don't know what or who."

"Should I tell my dad?"

"No...well idk. Maybe."

I thought about it. Telling dad could stir up trouble but what if something did happen? And I had the power to stop it.

"What's wrong?" I nearly screamed and I jumped up in hearing Wes voice so suddenly.

"What the hell, Wes!" I hissed, clutching my chest. He smiled. "How long have you been standing there?" I asked observing his relaxed stance. He stood leaning against the door frame, hands in his pockets, and shrugged.

"A minute or two."

I threw myself back down and rubbed my temples. I felt moved on the mattress and when  I opened my eyes, Wes was laying down next to me.

"What's wrong?" He whispered, eyes plastered onto my ceiling.

"Tara thinks something bad will happen."

"Tonight?"

I nodded. We lay in silence, until Wes moved his arm and his skin brushed against mine.

"Should I tell dad?"

"No. But I'll stay close by tonight if it helps."

"You can't promise that."

"I know my wolf, Ans. He'll do it." Wes said forcefully. I wondered if Wes believed it.

"LET'S GO!" I heard my brother call up to us. I glanced at the clock. 11:55 PM. Then back to Wes, he had a smirk creeping up on his face, and I took off running.

"Not fair!" Wes called out as he chased behind me, almost pouncing off the stairs.

We ran neck and neck, until we reached the woods, and Wes pushed himself past me, winning the race.

"Now that's not fair!" I took a turn in groaning at him, standing in front of the smiling boy, panting.

"It's totally fair." He raked a hand through his hair. "Now tell me, what did I win?"

I gave a small smirk, stepping closer so that the space between us was almost gone; I instinctively grabbed the end of hair, running my fingertips over the ends. Wes's smile faded and he leaned his head lower towards mine, his eyes searching mine. My eyes glided away from his eyes towards his lips...

"Ansley?" I heard a familiar voice call out. We both pulled away all too sudden and found ourselves with Cassie.

Wes looked down at his watch and in a hurry walked away, deeper into the woods.

"I'm sorry, did I..?" Cassie started but I shook my head hurriedly.

"Nothing! What's up?" I asked clapping my hands together, trying to wash away the annoyed feeling I had bubbling up in my throat.

"I just figured I could change with you tonight, since we're basically sisters now!" She gave me a wide grin.

"Yes, of course. It's been awhile since I changed with another person on a full moon." I admitted, pulling my shirt over my head and onto the ground.

Cassie followed my lead, tossing her clothes to the ground slowly, until the both of us stood on the brink of midnight, naked.

Cassie's eyes observed my figure for a moment, until I, feeling insecure covered my body with my arms.

"You're really pretty." Cassie complimented sensing my discomfort.

"Thanks." I whispered.

That's when I felt the first twinge in my back. It must have been midnight, because my body was suddenly on fire. I threw my body into the ground, howling at the sudden pain in breaking of bones and ripping of flesh. Thankfully, it was over quickly.

I had completely changed and was ready to take full of advantage of the full moon.

I awoke dizzy, stretched out on the cold, leaf ridden ground. I sat up, shivering, looking around. I spotted Cassie next to me, still asleep.

Lazily, I pulled on my clothes, shaking Cassie to wake her up. I trudged back inside to see dad and Aiden speaking seriously. Aiden was caked in mud.

The both turned to look at me and without a moment's hesitation my father said: "Grant's been murdered."