PART THREE

"My name is Fred, but you can call me Freddy. Would you like a drink while you wait?"

I clutched my chest and gasped. A waiter thought it was okay to frighten customers. "Dude! You scared the living daylights out of me."

He shuffled his feet and mumbled. "Sorry, I guess you didn't hear me coming."

Yeah. That and your freaking ice cold fingers too. I thought. "No thanks, I don't want a drink. I'm good." I replied.

After ten minutes, I started to get impatient, before I could call out to Freddy the lights went out. I quickly reached for my phone, but the battery died.

My voice trembled with fear. "Hello! Hello? Is anybody there? Fred?"

At that moment, I totally freaked out. The sound of heavy footsteps approaching me slowly, paralyzed me with terror. The temperature of the previously warm diner had dropped by several degrees, and I was glued to my seat. Shivering with the sudden chill in the air.

A deep, bear like animal voice growled into my ear. "Take your burger and don't make a sound. Follow me and you will live."

The beast pressed a small takeaway paper bag with my burger in it in my right hand and held my left one. Tugging me to my feet, I stumbled in the dark before a big, hairy paw steadied me. It led me towards the exit, with a slow but steady pace.

I couldn't see a thing but my heart leapt for joy when I heard the soft ding of the doorbell. The beast opened the door slightly, and stopped. I froze. Unable to utter a single word, and shedding tears silently as I felt the cool night breeze from the street.

A furry snout sniffed me from head to toe, pressing spiky ears on my belly. "I would have devoured you, but children are forbidden," he growled.

My skin bristled with annoyance. What? I was tiny, but I wasn't a child! It would have been been foolish to correct him though.

The beast roared loudly. "I'm Freddy. Run! Don't look back!"

I fled faster than the speed of light and didn't look back. Terrified that I'd turn to a pillar of salt if I did.

***

The following morning, I summoned the courage to return to Frank's Diner. It was about eight in the morning, so I expected it to be open. Surprisingly, it was closed. I crossed the street to ask the ice cream guy what he knew about the place.

"Hi! When is Frank's Diner going to open?" I asked.

He chuckled when he responded. "You must be new in this area, Frank's Diner has been closed for a while now. They're getting renovations done."

All my hairs stood on end. Getting mistaken for a kid and being asked for my ID before getting into the club was embarrassing. Who knew that my Cocomelon cuteness would save my life one day?

"Oh, okay. Thanks, man," I replied.

"Yeah. Anytime."

My heart beat furiously in my chest as I walked away. Guess who will never go out at midnight again.

P.S. The Frank's Diner burger, otherwise known as 'Frankenburger' was delicious.