48: Dobby is Free

Comincia dall'inizio

"But, Ginny," said Mrs. Weasley. "What's our Ginny got to dowith — with — him?

"His d-diary!" Ginny sobbed. "I've b-been writing in it, and he'sbeen w-writing back all year —" 

"Ginny!" said Mr. Weasley, flabbergasted. "Haven't I taught youanything? What have I always told you? Never trust anything thatcan think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain. Why didn'tyou show the diary to me, or your mother? A suspicious object likethat, it was clearly full of Dark Magic —" 

"I d-didn't know," sobbed Ginny. "I found it inside one of thebooks Mum got me. I th-thought someone had just left it in thereand forgotten about it —" 

"Miss Weasley should go up to the hospital wing right away,"Dumbledore interrupted in a firm voice. "This has been a terribleordeal for her. There will be no punishment. Older and wiser wizards than she have been hoodwinked by Lord Voldemort." Hestrode over to the door and opened it. "Bed rest and perhaps a large,steaming mug of hot chocolate. I always find that cheers me up,"he added, twinkling kindly down at her. "

You will find that MadamPomfrey is still awake. She's just giving out Mandrake juice — Idaresay the basilisk's victims will be waking up any moment." 

"So Hermione's okay!" said Ron brightly. 

"There has been no lasting harm done, Ginny," said Dumbledore.Mrs. Weasley led Ginny out, and Mr. Weasley followed, stilllooking deeply shaken."

You know, Minerva," Professor Dumbledore said thoughtfullyto Professor McGonagall, "I think all this merits a good feast.Might I ask you to go and alert the kitchens?""Right," said Professor McGonagall crisply, also moving to thedoor. "I'll leave you to deal with Ms Potter, Potter and Weasley, shall I?" 

"Certainly," said Dumbledore.She left, and I, Harry and Ron gazed uncertainly at Dumbledore.What exactly had Professor McGonagall meant, deal with us?Surely — surely — we weren't about to be punished?"I seem to remember telling you both that I would have to expelyou if you broke any more school rules," said Dumbledore to Ron and Harry. 

Ron opened his mouth in horror.'

 "Which goes to show that the best of us must sometimes eat ourwords," Dumbledore went on, smiling. "You will all receive Special Awards for Services to the School and — let me see — yes, Ithink two hundred points apiece for Gryffindor and Slytherin of course."

 Ron went as brightly pink as Lockhart's valentine flowers andclosed his mouth again."

But one of us seems to be keeping mightily quiet about his partin this dangerous adventure," Dumbledore added. 

"Why so modest, Gilderoy?"

 I gave a start. I had completely forgotten about Lockhart. I turned and saw that Lockhart was standing in a corner of theroom, still wearing his vague smile. When Dumbledore addressedhim, Lockhart looked over his shoulder to see who he was talkingto."Professor Dumbledore," Ron said quickly, "there was anaccident down in the Chamber of Secrets. Professor Lockhart —" 

"Am I a professor?" said Lockhart in mild surprise. "Goodness. Iexpect I was hopeless, was I?" 

"He tried to do a Memory Charm and the wand backfired," Ronexplained quietly to Dumbledore. 

"Dear me," said Dumbledore, shaking his head, his long silvermustache quivering. "Impaled upon your own sword, Gilderoy!"

 "Sword?" said Lockhart dimly. "

Haven't got a sword. That boyhas, though." He pointed at Harry. "He'll lend you one.""Would you mind taking Professor Lockhart up to the infirmary, too?" Dumbledore said to Ron. "I'd like a few more wordswith Harry and Emma . . ."