[ 03 ]

Golden sun illuminated the magical street of Diagon Alley two years earlier, alerting everyone of the imminent sunset. But, the place was buzzing with people, inside and outside the stores, it was hard to detect any frowning expression. The day was the everlasting picture of what end of the summer should feel like, joyous, youthful, impatient, precious, leaving the door open for possibilities.

In the spirit of taking chances, two minutes after Ginny Potter and Allana Stewart decided to head South of the alley to, in Allana's words, 'have a brief sulk about the prices at Twillfitt and Tattings', Lucy and James got up from the table. "Got business to attend to," The latter simply stated, something which neither his or her siblings had enough interest to question.

"As if," Lucy scoffed when he offered his arm out, suggesting to link them together. "I can walk on my own."

"I'm not stupid," James rolled his eyes in response, still walking beside her. "But you're short. You're gettin' lost."

"Short? 'M not short," She argued. "You're like– a shuck hair taller, plus that's only because it's all messy—"

"Teeny, tiny, Lucy is teeny tiny ma– ouch! Lucía!" Cut off by her giving the back of his neck an unexpected little slap, he rushed to catch up to her in front of the Owl Emporium, which, luckily, was not far at all from the ice cream parlour. 

"Do you have a preference?" James asked.

The pleased, mischievous smile lingered on Lucy's face as she answered, "No. You can pick."

It was her idea to get an owl for herself, but, apparently, according to parents, it was unreasonable for a fourteen year old to have an owl just for herself, when they were perfectly settled in with one owl for the five people in the family. It wasn't that Lucy did not like Stewie, and his comically long ears. In fact, she liked him so much, that she wanted one for her own. Anyone would know, Lucy Stewart was persistently, and unapologetically stubborn.

And, heavens would tell, James Sirius Potter had a tendency to not only listen to her, but build on her ideas. Suggesting it should be the two of them to get an owl, just for them both to use, split responsibility and custody to exactly half and half was a perfect compromise for the pair.

But, it was still her idea, and his eyes filled up with hopeful wonder when she said he could have the pick. "If you insist," He said, walking inside the shop, which wasn't as small as it appeared to be, but Merlin, was it tall, all filled to the brim with all types of owls, some screeching, some flapping their wings, other seemed to be in a real conversation with one another, and a few others asleep, head nuzzled into their wings.

However, James already knew exactly where to look— and alas, if he observed too much, he might want to convince Lucy to take four more home. "Sorry. Thanks," He mumbled to a father watching the barn owls. If he would've thought of it twice, he might've believed the fact that the man wore thin rimmed, round glasses was a nice wink from the universe.

How could anyone not want a barn owl, that was his question, and his frustrated hope, ever since he was ten, just before he got his Hogwarts letter. Arnie was a snowy owl, and of course he was his favourite sibling, but the barn owls' soft 'please take me' eyes had never really left the depths of his mind. Lo and behold, a little owl, with white fluffy feathers, orange and grey patterns on its wings, and a copper spot on its chest was once again staring at him, with 'please take me' eyes.