Part 12 "Son of a bitch."

A/n: idk if this chapter is hardcore enough for a warning but still, stay safe <3

*Trigger warning for violence and content warning for graphic depictions of blood*

***

The match has only been going on for five minutes and Josie is losing. Kaleb has gotten two hits in, very easily dancing around the brunette.

Yet he's still holding back.

During the few seconds between points Josie cant help but look over at the royal box. The king's disposition has drastically changed. He looks bored, choosing to chat with the people around him rather than pay attention. Josie knows its because of her, she isn't good enough to hold his attention, and Kaleb is holding back.

When they face each other again Josie decides to fix this.

"Kaleb," She grits through her teeth. "Stop holding back. I can take it."

The Knight looks back at her with worried eyes, but nods imperceptibly as he moves into a different stance.

The first swing he throws is sudden, but Josie is quick enough to bounce back and out of its reach in time.

She does her own return swing, quickly changing its direction as she turns it into a lunge. Kaleb's expert eye predicts the movement and he blocks it with the flick of his wrist. Josie's sword passes by him and leaves her open to another hit from him. He seems to hesitate for only a moment, giving Josie's instincts time to take over. Her leather padded elbow comes up and hits his unprotected face.

He stumbles back a little, grasping his nose as blood starts to drip from between his fingers.

The crowd around them roars. Some leaping to their feet and cursing the brunette for ruining their bets. The Saltzman girl cant help but look to the royal box for a few seconds. The king seems less bored, but still unhappy. Hope is much like before; unmoving and yet to acknowledge anything.

Josie furrows her brows, chest heaving from the adrenaline. Kaleb is back in the game though, so she quickly puts all of her attention on him.

Since her hit wasnt with a sword the point isn't called. It was technically illegal, but no fouls have been called during the whole tournement. She knows it wont be called now. Even though she did it without intending, she raises her eyebrows at her opponent as they circle each other. Kaleb shakes his head with a chuckle, the blood from his nose is starting to dry.

This time he doesn't hold back, charging again but switching tactics. He tries to unbalance her by rapidly striking, but Josie meets every hit with her own sword. She feels like every nerve in her body is on fire; alive. Even though this is physically grueling, she finds that she is enjoying herself, even if she has yet to land a hit.

She almost hit's Kaleb's shoulder, but he pulls it out of the way just in time. Josie finds herself unbalanced, giving Kaleb the opportunity to keep his foot out to trip her. Josie's foot catches on his ankle and she falls face first into the dirt, her sword flying out of her hand.

The crowd howls with excitement, leering down at her from the stands as they chant for Kaleb to finish her.

Josie rolls over onto her back and sits up on the palms of her hands, looking up at the knight.

He gives her a sad smile, and she returns it. The universe has sealed her fate.

The crowd screams gleefully when the tip of his sword makes contact with the metal plate protecting Josie's heart. It had no power behind it, but Josie feels an overwhelming amount of hurt burst from the place it touches.