Part 1 "Is someone there?"

A/n: that's the first cover, I may change it at some point when I have more time for photoshop.

***

"Put your back into it!" The blonde shouted at the two coachmen, who were trying to push their carriage out of the mud. "Forget about our opportune arrival time, or even being on time! We're going to be stuck in this forest forever."

"Lizzie, don't be so dramatic." The brunette beside her chuckled as she rested a hand on her sister's shoulder. They had exited the carriage on discovery of its inertia. It was a well worn coach with elegant woodwork. Befitting of the Saltzman's status, barely. Their family had fallen on hard times financially, so keeping up with the latest trends was a challenge.

"My whole schedule is ruined." Lizzie sulked, seemingly ignoring her sister. "We should have been at the castle by now."

"I could go find us some help." The brunette offered, already hiking up her long dress to keep it from catching while she walked. Lizzie turned to her abruptly.

"Alone? Josie, that's crazy. We don't know what kind of creatures are lurking in... the shadows, and stuff. God, who would even choose to live in a place like this?" She asked rhetorically.

"I'll be fine. I'm sure civilization isn't that far away." Josie replied with a good natured eye roll at her sister. She was already starting to walk away.

"Civilization." Lizzie scoffed. "Yeah, right."

Josie set off down the road at a brisk pace, watching as a bird flitted to another branch. It followed her for a few moments, darting between branches as they went. Josie was mesmerized as it appeared to dance through the air. It's navy feathers shimmering in the evening sun. The girl's face fell slowly, envy growing in the pit of her stomach.

Oh to be a bird. Flying from place to place all on their own accord. No one telling them where to go except their own intuition. They could fly high above the trees for hours on end, or sit on a branch and soak up the sun. A bird is free to sing any song they would like, when they like. Oh to be a bird...

With her thoughts occupied, Josie wasn't aware of how far she had travelled, or how dark it had gotten. The sun was starting to set behind the thicket of trees, making the air around her grow colder. Even though the sleeves of her dress reached her elbows, she shivered. It was not enough to keep her warm.

The sound of a branch snapping loudly drew her attention. Her little friend took off hastily, disappearing deeper into the trees. A number of images filled the girls mind as she studied her surroundings; Cruel images of thugs and fairytale monsters from the stories her mother had read to her before bed. She thought of how distraught her sister would be to find her dead, or worse, not find her at all.

"Hello?" She called to the growing darkness. "Is someone there?"

A horse's whiny broke the tense silence, allowing Josie to be reassured that it wasn't one of those monsters. Maybe.

More branches crunched underfoot as a figure slowly become visible. They were wearing a deep red cloak with the hood drawn over their face. Maybe it was their short stature that put the brunette at ease. Regardless, once the girl took off her hood, and Josie watched auburn hair fall down to frame a handsome face, she was quite at ease. A little enamored even.

"Um... are you lost?" The young woman before her asked. Josie blushed at the realization that she had just been staring at this girl in silence rather creepily. She probably thought Josie was a crazy person, after all, who would be walking through the forest by themselves at this time?