Part 10 "I'm worried."

A/n: I had lots of notes for this tournament.
***

It was the day of the tournament. The air seemed to crackle with all the excited energy dwellers of Lykos Hold were expelling, making it hard for Josie to breathe. Or maybe that was just her nerves. The pain in her chest had woken her up earlier than the sun. She had rolled out of bed, careful not to disturb her sister, as she walked over to the window seat. Watching the sunrise did little to distract her, in fact she barely noticed it as her thoughts consumed her.

Had she practiced enough to stand a chance, or would she make a fool out of herself by how easily she would lose? Hope would be there. Hope would see her fail, be disappointed in her, and then she would have to pack up and go home. Maybe when she was going home some bandit would attack her carriage. They would kidnap her to hold her for ransom, only to find out that they would get nothing for her—

"Josie?" Lizzie's groggy voice cut into her thoughts. "Can you get my slippers?"

"Of course." Josie hopped off the window seat cushions and picked up the fluffy pink slippers by the end of the bed. When she walked over to the right side of the bed Lizzie had one foot sticking out, as if she expected Josie to do it for her. Instead the brunette just threw them at her sister with a huff. Lizzie squawked and burrowed further under the covers. After realizing there were no more assaults coming, Lizzie came out.

"Why were you being miss gloomy gown over by the window?" Lizzie asked.

"I'm worried." Josie replied truthfully, sitting down on the edge of the bed with a sigh.

Her sister sat up and reached a tentative hand forward to pat Josie on the shoulder.

"There there." She said awkwardly, unsure of how to comfort the brunette. It just didn't come naturally to her. It was something she had yet to learn.

"It's alright." Josie chuckled, swatting her twins hand away. "At least you'll be fine."

***

Lizzie was not fine. Not at all.

She thought it would be simple; shoot some targets, accept her award, be adored by loving fans and get paraded back to the castle. Maybe she would get a crown. It didn't have to be a real one, but she did deserve it.

She should have known it wouldn't be that simple. Here she stood by the sign in booth, able to see clear as day the monstrosity she would face in the coming hours.

A maze with obstacles and hidden targets would haunt Elizabeth Saltzman for the rest of her life, for more reasons than one.

"Archery will be after the sword." The man sitting at the booth said, snatching the quill pen from Lizzie's hands. He had a funny cap on, the flaps that hung over his ears started quivering in the wind.

"Did you sign me in too?" Josie asked once her twin reached her. Lizzie looked up, surprised for a moment that she was already beside her sister.

"Yes." She answered, composing herself and keeping the bow in her hands in a vice like grip. "I can't believe I have to wait! They should have held the archery competition first."

"They wouldn't want to put us to sleep before the real excitement." Dana exclaimed as she passed them, her gaggle of followers giggling at Lizzie as they went.

Lizzie scoffed, thinking about which of the two competitions would be boring. It definitely was going to be the sword fight.

Over by the fence that separated the battle field and the stands, two boys stood waiting. One rather skinny, and one quite muscular.

"There she is!" Landon whisper yelled, pointing at the procession of well dressed people walking towards the royal box. Most of them were wearing veils to protect themselves from bugs, so Landon and Rafael couldn't tell which one Hope was until she sat in the grand chair beside King Niklaus. She was wearing a deep red dress that matched her fathers kilt. It had extravagant puffed sleeves and a beaded corset. The dress itself seemed flashy, and it hid her figure well.

"I hope she's feeling better." Rafael commented as he tightened his armguard.

"She looks fine to me."

"So you can see passed the veil?" Rafael joked, the corners of his mouth twitching as he tried not to smile.

Landon turned to him with a serious face, his eyes sparkling as they teared up.

"Oh, no hey man, I'm sorry!" Rafael rushed to apologize, setting a gentle hand on his brothers shoulder. "I didn't mean to bring up—"

Landon pulled away from the dark skinned boy, leaning both hands on the fence as he gathered himself. Raf gave him space, doing up the last few straps for his armor.

After a few moments of tense silence, Landon launched himself off the fence and marched towards the sign in booth.

"Baron Landon Kirby." He announced to the man. The man's hat stilled as he slowly held out a quill to the boy, assessing him carefully as he looked at him weirdly.

"The sword starts at noon." He replied drily. Landon took the quill awkwardly and scribbled down his name, deflating only for a moment as his rage came back.

Rafael stood behind him, hands on hips as he looked up at the sun. Landon was kind enough to pass the quill to his brother when he was done, and Raf gave him a small smile.

As they walked towards their tent, Landon spoke up with a firm voice.

"Do you remember the plan?"

"Of course." Rafael almost scoffs, keeping his voice clear yet quiet as they pass their competition.

Josie fiddles with the hilt of her sword as trumpets sound off in the distance.

***
A/n: hehehe