Part 24: "Lady Dana, please step forward."

A/n: sorry for the turmoil plz trust me <3
***

Lykos hold is abuzz with an energy it hasn't seen in many months. Members of the court and other nobility are packed into the large dining hall. Near the back doors, merchants dwell with standing room only, as well as gamblers and runners waiting to send messages. A royal proclamation has been announced to take place at any moment. Everyone knows exactly what it's for; waiting with bated breathe to see the kingdom change before their eyes once again. It had been twenty years since the gruesome unification of all the territories, and with one child instead of six, then seven, it was sure to be smoother than the last.

Each of the suitors to make it to the final round sat near the front. Their chairs matched eachother, with carefully carved features from dark wood, stained even darker. Josie had only been able to find room in the middle of the crowd, pushing her way forward until she spotted Penelope leaning against the sidewall. By the time she made it over to the other girl, Lord Vardemus was exiting through a side door and standing at the front of the room.

"After a long and tumultuous trial, our victor has finally succeeded at passing their final test." His voice boomed across the room as he expertly projected his words, and yet every murmur or sound stopped suddenly. It was as if every breath was held, every anxious foot frozen. Someone in the crowd had to be suffocating from holding back a cough. "The suitor that showcased their expert use of brain and brawn to win not only the heart of the people, the court, but also his Majesty. King Niklaus has determined this young noble worthy of his daughters hand."

That's when the murmurs started, with Vardemus leaving room for a dramatic pause. Josie's heart thudded as it stretched on, jumping slightly when Penelope reached for her hand, but grasping on tightly once she accepted the offer. It only got worse once he motioned towards the same side door he had come through. Everyone who was seated were prompted to rise as Hope, or rather, the future Queen walked up to stand beside Vardemus. Josie could tell she looked incredibly uncomfortable, and tried to catch her eye, but they were too far back in the crowd.

"All those who participated fought gallantly, and should hold themselves in high esteem for their efforts. But one rose above, cutting through the rest of the competition with qualities that are necessary to support our future monarch."

Josie was screaming so loud in her head for him to just get on with it. Any answer would crush her heart, granted, some more than others. If Landon won he might be able to win the Princesses heart. They seemed to get on well, and he makes her laugh. If it had to be anyone other than herself, let it be someone who can make her laugh. Hold her hand when they're in crowds. Give her everything she needs for support and love and happiness.

Penelope looks over at Josie once the grip on her hand gets a little too tight for comfort. She pries her hand out gently, holding Josie discreetly by the waist instead. The brunette leans most of her weight on the knight then, standing as close as possible with her face scrunched up. She cannot watch, she needs to hear it already. This feels like a knife twisting in her heart and she's trying to hold back tears. She's let herself be selfish and this is the cost.

"Lady Dana, please step forward."

The applause is thunderous around them as Josie stands frozen beside the raven haired girl. Penelope gives her a comforting squeeze, sending a look of apology her way. Josie doesn't know what to feel, so many emotions are swarming around in her head. Relief, anger, sorrow, regret. Something lifts from her shoulders when she realizes it's Dana. Hope could never fall in love with her; she's too toxic, entitled, mean. From their previous interactions it looked like Dana would cling onto Hope, which doesn't work. She needs patience, kindness, a soft love. She's going to be miserable. Josie was only a few trials away from this. Why couldn't she wield a damn sword. She had given up so fast, hadn't she? It was for Hope, she should have tried harder. Guilt was clawing it's way up her throat, or did it feel strained because she was holding back tears? There was far too much going on in Josie's head.