Part 7 "You can stay."

A/n: shoutout to my friend tomato that started reading my fic and doesn't even watch legacies🥺✌🏻
***

Lady Josette Saltzman was beginning to take up space in Hope's mind. A welcome distraction she tried not to dwell on. It wasn't because there was anything unpleasant about the girl. On the contrary, she was far too pleasant. Especially to the eyes, Hope thought as she carefully waded through the tall grass.

Josie was tall. When that phrase sprung into Hope's mind it meant more than that. She was beautiful, her smile could melt iron. The way she talked, if bumbling, was just so alluring to the auburn haired girl. She was the perfect bait to a well hidden trap.

Thinking about Josette Saltzman was a trap. It was a mistake to pay any lingering thoughts of Josie an ounce of attention. Hope knew this. Every single time the girl would cross her mind she shut it down faster than—

Slam!

She smirked lowly as the blade of her throwing knife sunk into the turkey's neck. It had been a hard kill, tracking the lone bird out into the open like this without letting it sense her, but she had a knack for it. Throwing knives? Not as much, her weapon of choice would always be her trusty sword.

By the time she got back to her horse she had a bundle of game, all ready to go. With a familiar ease she mounted her horse, steering the stallion in the direction of the nearest village.

She pulled her cloak closer around her shoulders, shivering slightly as the day was slowly turning to dusk. She passed a few small houses at a trot, nodding to those she passed who were just now heading home from work. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she laid eyes on the old multi-storied house, guiding her horse to the back door as she slowed him to a walk.

"Good evening, Hope." A weathered older lady said from her perch on the back steps. She had a bowl in front of her with freshly shucked cobs of corn. "You're late."

"The sky is still light," Hope replied, getting down from her horse carefully as to not make a noise. "These will certainly convince you to forgive me."

The old woman accepted the bundle of game with a mock skeptical expression, bringing her hand up to stroke her chin as she sized Hope up.

"I guess." She sighed, the tiniest of twinkles playfully showing through her forced expression of disappointment. Then, seemingly tired of the charade, she picked up one of the birds, examining its feathers. "The kids will love these, thank you."

"Any new ones?" Hope asked carefully, holding her breath as she awaited the answer. The woman before her gave a tight lipped smile, a weariness making itself known in her bones as she nodded.

"Yes, little Jenny. Three weeks away from her eighth birthday."

"Family?"

"Pneumonia took the father, the rest followed. She was damn near starvation when they found her."

The auburn haired girl clenched her fists, her brows drawing together as her nose scrunched up. A calm hand made its way to her shoulder, prying the girls eyes from the dirt to meet the woman's gaze.

"Don't put this on your shoulders." The old woman commanded firmly. "You can't fix the whole world. Someone will always be hurting... You do enough."

"I wish I could do more." Hope said sorrowfully, taking the woman's hand in both of her own.

"Stay safe, stay healthy, and keep an open mind." The woman replied with a mantra she kept close to her own heart. "Now, go home before your father catches you."