Chapter 1

"One Black Dahlia that's all I ask for," Pleaded Greg to a god that he didn't believe existed. He had always been fascinated with that case. A woman named Elizabeth Short was cut in half (horizontally sliced not vertically), and her face was bruised from a severe beating. The cause of death was actually the beatings to the face. Greg always believed that it was a boyfriend she was meeting for the first time and hadn't told anyone about it. She had a reputation for getting around, and she had a genital defect that rendered her incapable of normal sexual intercourse. The case was never solved. Greg wished he could get a challenging case like that one, but no he got a double homicide in the bedroom of a house.

A man was laying face up next to a woman in the bed. Both of their eyes were empty and glassy.  They each had several crimson pools in their chests. There was still a look of terror etched on the man's face. He had seen his death coming, but the woman had a blank look on her face. She had no idea. Looked like someone had pushed the husband over, and shot the girl. Then after she was annihilated the killer moved on to the man and shot him almost twice as much. Every picture of the wife and husband were put face down in the room. Greg went over, and looked at the hands of the victims. The man was wearing a wedding ring, but the woman was not.

"This case is stupid," Greg said.

"There are two bodies, Greg, how can it be stupid?" Josh asked suprised

"It's too easy," he answered.

"Wow buddy," Colin Mercury, the lead forensic investigator, started quirkily, "You really need to get some. Maybe it will mellow you out."

"Were these two discovered by the wife?" Greg asked ignoring Colin.

"Yeah, how the hell did you know that?" Replied Joshua Earnheart, Greg's partner.

"Because she killed them," Replied Greg with a dull voice. "Where is she?"

"Right downstairs," Josh answered.

Greg went down to the wife and thought, "Why? Why? Why no Black Dahlia... Is it too much to ask?"

"Have you found anything yet?" The wife said through tears.

"Yes our forensic team believes that you were attacked by the two of them upon arrival, and you killed them in self defense." Greg answered dishonestly.

"I wanted to tell you..." She said while her tears suddenly stopped, "I just didn't think you would believe me!"

"So that is what happened?" Greg asked, "You killed your husband?"

"Yes! I was so scared!" She replied starting the tears up again.

"Too bad I lied about evidence," Greg replied with a smirk, "There was no evidence of self defense. You shot both of them, and you are now under the arrest for the murder of your husband and the unknown woman he was having an affair with." He then proceded to slap a pair of cuffs on her and read her her Miranda Rights.

"Josh take her in I'm gonna go home and enjoy the rest of this glorious summer evening," Greg ordered his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Damn Driscoll," Colin remarked, "At first I was kidding when I said you need to get laid but now I really think you need some action, buddy."

"Fuck off Colin," retorted Greg.

When he got home he checked his voicemail. 0 missed calls. He checked his phone. 0 texts. He slid into his covers and tried to go to sleep.

Gregory Driscoll was not by any means your average Joe. He worked in the homicide department in Manhattan as a detective, a very gifted one too. There was one thing that separated him from all of his coworkers. Unlike all of them, he had no interest in people not a care about anybody's welfare, but he had the crying need for the hunt. The Darkness. That cruel calling that tickled and burned, teased and taunted all at the same time. Not the same Darkness as a serial killer of course. He did not feel the need for control or to see the blood flow. He just felt a certain urge to chase down answers relentlessly. In a way the Darkness was similar, but a different shade, for darkness has just as many shades as light.