Chapter 4

Greg knew that this meeting was not going to be any picnic, but he was not very concerned. He never really was the worrying type. He always thought people are stupid, and as a result he did not take things seriously when it came to making a good impression. He knew that if cops knew what was good for them, they would listen to him. Besides he was taking point, so regardless of what they thought he could basically do whatever he wanted. Vogler could try and be a pain in the ass, but that was no different than usual. Josh would most likely back him up, because when it came to cold blooded homicides he could not think. He was too emotionally invested. Also they had been partners for 9 years. He knew Greg was a good cop and he trusted him. Maybe that trust was so deep that one might consider it a bond so foreign and unheard of to Greg that he had never even think of it. A friendship. That friendship had proven to be bittersweet for Josh. On one hand Greg was good to get advice from when Josh needed it. On the other hand Greg often times had an agenda that he viewed as paramount to their friendship. Greg was also known to pull the occasional prank. Once he convinced Josh that a professional hit-man had been hired to kill Vogler. Josh freaked out, stormed into Vogler’s office, and interrupted a meeting with the mayor. Vogler was not amused, and it took Josh awhile to forgive him too.

    “Driscoll,” called the irate lieutenant. “I told you 5 minutes twenty minutes ago.”

    “Sorry babe,” Greg replied, “I was busy thinkin’ ‘bout you.” He then proceeded to give Vogler a wink. Colin Mercury who was nearby, began snickering. Josh, who was sitting in the conference room, shook his head. Sargent Goodman, who was walking to the conference room, was fighting to stifle his laughter and he smiled at Greg. Greg felt a surge of appreciation for Goodman. He had been like a father to Greg. A much better father than his own, but that’s a different story. Greg rose and proceeded into the conference room.

    “Hey you creepy mother fucker,” greeted Vogler in a manner that Greg perceived as unpleasant. “What took you so long? Having sick fuck fantasies about your buddies work?”

    “Al...” Goodman started, “That’s a bit over the top don’t you think?”

    “No it’s ok Sarge,” started Greg, “I understand how he can get confused. He barely leaves his office except for high profile cases. He hasn’t been a real cop in years. Hell even when he was a cop he wasn’t all that good at it. Maybe that’s why he hates me. Can’t stand that I know how to do my job.”

    In the following fraction of a second Greg noticed how each person’s face twitched. Vogler’s mouth shifted to a slant and his eyebrows curved while his face tilted. Contempt. The corners of Goodman’s mouth slid up and the corners of his eye wrinkled. Happiness. Last of all, the corners of Josh’s mouth went down, and his jaw dropped making his bottom lip straight across. The inside half of each of his eyebrows shot up. Fear. It always fascinated Greg how one little statement could lead to so many varying expressions in different people.

    “Alright then freak,” Started Vogler, who recovered first, “If you are so damn good, then tell us what you’ve got.”

    “Wait one moment Al,” Greg said with a smirk. Josh groaned. “Did I upset you somehow? Honestly I don’t think I deserve the attitude you are giving me.”

    “Greg,” Goodman said reproachfully, “Stop instigating we need to get this meeting over with.”

    “Sorry Sarge,” Greg replied Goodman just smiled. He was always smiling. “This is a male killer most likely white..”

    “How the hell do you figure that?” Blurted Vogler.

    “Well this crime’s particular level of overpowering force just makes a man much more likely. He is most likely white because he did not raise suspicion with an old man. Like it or not blacks and other minorities stick out more than whites. Especially to old people.”

    “Ok then...” Grumbled Vogler. Goodman smiled wider.

    “This guy has been wronged by the Catholic church, or religious people. He is most likely an atheist or an agnostic.  The fact that he seems to be righting a perceived wrong makes him fit the profile of an anger retaliation offender.”

    “Enough of this bullshit you got any real evidence?” Vogler asked.

    “Nothing tangible...” Greg started.

    “So you got nothing?”

    “I have a profile,” Greg answered, “A good comprehensive psychological profile was one thing that could have helped with Jack the Ripper and Zodiac. Two of the most notorious unsolved cases in history. It did help catch Bundy and George Metesky, the mad bomber.”

    “Whatever,” said the lieutenant dismissively, “We gonna be here all day or are you gonna tell us what you got?”

    “You bet your ass I will lieutenant,” Greg replied, “There is no sexual component to the crime which is consistent with my theory that this is a radical religion based crime. This guy is very organized as we can clearly see in the tidiness of the crime scene, and the use of counter forensic measures. As I said earlier I believe this man feels he was persecuted or wronged by the Catholic church or religious people in general. Now sometimes guys who commit similarly motivated crimes are just delusional on what they are retaliating against. I don’t believe in this case that this unsub is due to the level of organization that he exhibited at the crime scene. It’s hard to keep things in control when you are delusional or you are suffering a break from reality.”

    “Speakin’ from experience there Driscoll?” snorted Vogler.

    “No I just know how to do my job,” Greg snapped back, “How about you?” Vogler fell silent.

    “Now,” Greg started again with a smirk, “I have said it before, and I’ll say it again. This guy will kill again. This crime was too impersonal and the killer derived too much pleasure for this to be a one time deal for him.”

    “Excuse me Greg,” said Goodman softly.

    “Yes sir?” Greg answered.

    “You keep using the word impersonal, and I’m not sure what that means in this particular context,”  Goodman mused.

    “Well he feels distant from the crime,” Greg explained, “Probably distant from everyone. He most likely lacks concern for the rights and needs of others. However I would not classify him as an antisocial personality, because of a lack of empathy is the most prevalent symptom. In other words, our boy’s a psychopath. Most violent serial offenders are psychopaths, and I believe we would be remiss to not consider the probability that he will strike again.”

    “Makes sense to me, “Goodman replied.

    “Now there was one thing we recovered at the crime scene. A card with the the numbers, ‘7, 1, 13, 5-15, 14-7, 18, 5, 7.’”

    “What the hell do they mean?” Barked Vogler.

    “Your guess is as good as mine lieutenant,” Greg answered. “It’s on my to do list today to figure out.”

    “Well get to work what do you think we pay you for god dammit.” Vogler yelled as he stomped out.

    “You know some people have conceited or angry bosses,” Greg commented, “I suppose we are just lucky enough to have both.” Goodman chuckled as Greg, Josh, and he all got up and left the conference room.