Chapter 2 (Josh's POV)

Joshua was appalled at the killer’s brutality. “How could anybody do this to a body?” thought Josh. Killings like this one have always gotten to him. He believed that people are good and generally aspire to do the right thing. These murders conflicted with that view of humanity in that no person could aspire to be good while heinously murdering innocent people. Greg said that they are genetically flawed human beings, but Joshua could not handle the idea that that made them indefinitely inhuman.

    Greg looked over at Josh with annoyance. “The only way you could  be less useless right now is if you start acting like Vogler. Gonna help?” he demanded with annoyance. Josh nodded. “Good boy,” praised Greg sarcastically, “What do you think this guy is trying to tell us?”

    “Why would he leave us a clue?”

    “He left us a code. He wants us to play the game his way.”

    “DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME?!?”

    “I think it’s a game for him.”

    “”Why do you think that, do you think he wants to be caught?”

    “I think he either wants to be caught or he wants people to think about what he did.”

    "Who do you think he is?"

    “Nope.”

    “You... Er... Don’t think he has a name?”

“Yes its a rare birth defect. No of course he has a name its just a wasted question until we answer the others.

“Oh right, I forgot how rigid and stubborn you are about the thought process. What comes first then?”

    “How? What was cause of death?”

    “Strangulation. Why...”

    “Were these cuts pre or post mortem?”

    “All pre mortem.”

    “Good now we have an idea of his M.O.”

    “But where the hell does that lead us?”

    “To the next question. When did the vic go down?”

    “Some time between 5 and 7.”

    “Ok with that in mind we should start canvasing.”

    “Ok we know the where, the what, the how, and the when so next is the who.”

    “Ah you are forgetting one I do believe.”

    “Am I?”

    “Oh yes and shame on you. It’s a biggie.”

    “Ok now you are playing games with me. Just fucking tell me.”

    “Jeeze you dont need to get so uppity... you forgot to ask why.”

    “Why the fuck does why matter so much?!”

    “Tells us more about the killer than any other question, because it gives us insight into what makes him feel justified in committing his most passionate acts.”

    “Are you trying to justify what he did? Greg I know this is terrible, but you have to stay objective.”

    “You are preaching to me about objectivity? I have my objectivity you have lost yours. You have been crying so much about how this death was so tragic and so terrible that you forgot to do your damn job. Motive leads us to background information about the killer. Why do you think the FBI has a Behavioral Analysis Unit?”