Chapter Nine

There's a definite glow in me as I make my way home and I feel the beginnings of adventure stirring in my stomach. I'm going to France! I'm actually going to use my passport for the first time in my life and although I couldn't completely shake the apprehensive feeling I have, it felt amazing knowing I was going to get out of the country and finally have that holiday I've always wanted.

Buzzing to tell Tom the good news, I'm through the front door and hanging up my coat when I hear my name mentioned in the living room and I quietly inch my way to the door, pressing my ear up against it in stealth mode.

'Of course I'll look after her mum. What do you think I'll do, chuck her over the side of a mountain?' I hear Tom laugh.

'Will you behave for one second Thomas! Look, you've only been back a couple of days, you haven't seen the change in Emma that I have. He broke her heart and she hasn't been the same since. I'm worried about her.' There was a wobble in mum's voice and an incredible sadness washes over me.

She was right. I used to be out every weekend with my group of friends and we were all the life of the party, the first ones on the dance floor and the last ones to leave. But after I got together with Nathan I started swapping my glam nights out for quiet evenings in with a takeaway in front of the telly and over the years we all lost contact. Well, apart from Sam who never gave up on me. I would call her in tears after another argument had broken out and she'd turn up at the flat with a hug and a bottle of prosecco in her hands. There as a perfect pick me up and I adored her for it.

'Stop worrying. I just want to get her away from here for a bit, let her have some fun. And she'll love Chloe when she gets to meet her! Let me work my magic with her.'

'What are your friends like? I don't want her getting left out.'

'Come on mum, you know I'd never do that. And Jess has hardly shut up about it since I told her so you've got nothing to worry about. We've just got to hope her boss says yes first though.'

'You're right... I think he will though. He's always trying to get Emma to take some time off but she's always saying no. Says she has nowhere to go so she might as well work.'

'Well, let's just keep everything crossed because by God that girl could do with a break! I've never seen her so fragile...'

Not wanting to hear any more I sneak back to the front door and reopen it, closing it with a loud bang and calling out that I was home.

'We're in the lounge sweetheart,' Mum calls out and I enter the room, a passive expression on my face to pretend like I hadn't just been eavesdropping on them a moment ago. 'Was work okay today?'

'It was fine. Feeling really tired now though,' I reply, collapsing on the sofa next to Tom and hugging a cushion to myself.

'Too much partying, sis! You just can't handle it,' Tom jokes and I roll my eyes at him. 'Did you speak to your boss then?'

'I did....' I say slowly, careful not to give anything away.

Tom remains silent as he glances across to mum and I catch a hopeful look passing between them.

'So yeah... he said I could go.' I'm grinning now as another bubble of excitement waves through me and Tom fist-pumps the air.

'YES, EMMA! This is going to be amazing, you know that right? I cannot wait to get you on those slopes.'

'I know! I'm actually really excited. And you're sure Jamie won't mind me hitching a lift with you two?'

'Nah, of course he won't. He said it last night actually, when you were talking to that Will fella at the bar before we left. Said it would be fun to have you around again, like old times or whatever. Don't know what he's on about. It was never fun with you around!'