Chapter Five

I could tell mum was cross as soon as I sat down for dinner that night, huffing as she dished up our food and when I risk a sneaky glance across the table to Tom, he was shaking his head in warning.

'So apparently there was a commotion at the café today,' she questions us as she sits down, picking up her cutlery and scowling at him.

'Who said that?' He was already treading on thin ice and I wince at the accusation in his tone.

'Joan told me. So, was there?' Mum turns to me. 'Emma?'

'I wouldn't say there was a commotion. Maybe a few words were said but that was all.'

'A few words were said. Said to who?'

I pause before I answer, preparing myself for the imminent onslaught that I knew was heading my way. 'Nathan,' I say dejectedly, instantly feeling defensive.

'He came into your work again?' Her tone changes to one of sympathy as Tom's back straightens.

'What do you mean again?' He leans forward on the table, glaring at me accusingly but I stare determinedly at my bolognese. 'Em, has this happened before?'

I remain silent and try to swallow my food despite my throat feeling tight.

'Was it him calling you last night?' Mum asks softly but again I choose to ignore the question, not wanting the third degree from either of them. I was exhausted and just wanted to finish my food so I could disappear to my room. 'I heard your phone ringing-'

'Yes Mum, it was him. And so what?' I drop my fork in temper, my appetite as depleted as my sanity currently was. 'I need you both to keep out of it okay. It's my business.'

'We're only trying to look out for you sweetheart. I can't bear the thought of that boy upsetting you again. You've not been yourself since that day and I miss it.'

'Mum, please stop asking me. I've said I'm okay. Now can you both drop it!'

I instantly regret snapping at her as soon as I look into her face. I love my mum so much, but I'm trying so hard every day not to think about Nathan and to pretend I'm happy and her constant pestering just reminds me that I'm not.

Silence ensues at the table and for the next ten minutes all we hear is the sound of our cutlery scraping against the plates, no one sure of what to say next and as soon as I finish, I make my way into the kitchen, followed closely by Tom who dumps his plate on the counter beside mine.

'I'm heading to The Crow & Crown in a mo, do you fancy joining everyone for a pint?'

I shake my head at him, already having checked out for the day and I'm trying to squeeze past him, muttering that I was tired when he blocks my way with his arm.

'Come for one drink,' he pleads. 'I'm going away soon and who knows when I'll next see you. Come on...do it for me. Your delightful brother who has missed you so much.'

I hesitate, lifting my eyes from the ground to find him staring down at me. He looked sad, worried almost, a sight I was so used to seeing on our mum and my insides squirm, feeling like I was letting yet another member of my family down by being so glum.

'One drink then you'll let me go home?'

A smile spreads its way onto Tom's face and he stands up straight, holding three fingers up in Scout's Honour. 'I swear!' he beams, winking at me before adding, 'You couldn't handle more than one anyway.'

I give him a gentle punch on the arm and he pretends to cower away from me, clutching it with his other hand and a giggle escapes my lips, the sound alerting mum who appears cautiously in the doorway, a look of relief crossing her face when she sees our smiles. 'Is Jamie in town yet?'