Ten

"It wasn't Zachary," Brittany says, flipping the TV off. My head snaps in her direction at the sound of her voice. "Did you see the look on that kid's face when I called him out? He was the one throwing the snowballs at the house. He's the one who wrote in the snow. Everything's fine."

I watch her. I hadn't said anything about Zachary. I wonder if she's as worried as I am.

We didn't say much after we hiked back to our cabin last night and tucked ourselves into bed. Brittany spent such a long time in the shower, that I began to think it was purposeful. That she didn't want to talk to me about her uncle's arrival, so I took my sleeping medication and fell asleep before she came to bed. She was already awake when I woke up too. I stared at her side of the bed for a moment, wondering if she slept at all or if she felt uncomfortable sharing a bed with me.

I shake my head. "That's the least of my worries. Why is your uncle here? Does he think I'm just going to let him..." I trail off, trying to sort through my thoughts. Does he think I'm just going to let him hurt her again? Maybe. I let him hurt her before when I was ignoring Brittany for half a year. What are the odds that she would have been around for him to take advantage of if I had just let her come visit me? I rest my head in my hands. "I'm not going to let anyone hurt you."

Brittany sits next to me, runs her nails over my back. "I know, J."

I let out a chuckle. "Is your life this chaotic when I'm not in it?"

Her eyes linger on my lips and then my eyes. "I like it."

"Chaos?" I scoff.

She nudges me, a smile playing at her lips. "Jordan Taylor induced chaos only."

We both laugh.

Brittany leans close, her eyes focused on my lips. The perfect mix of perfume and mint is intoxicating. I'm getting ahead of myself, even before she has kissed me, my mind is racing through scenarios. How will I make this perfect? How do I balance caution and sexiness? If I move too fast, I might trigger her. If I move too slow, I'll bore her. Other women were easy but she's not other women. She's Brittany Davis. The woman that everyone fought over. The smartest and most beautiful girl at Jefferson High. And she's mine.

My thoughts are wiped clear as she closes the space between us but as she parts her lips and tangles a hand through my hair, a light knock comes from the door.

She stops, her lips pulling into a smile. "Fun," she says, still temptingly close. She pops to her feet and answers the door.

It's Donna.

She runs her hands over her arms as she shivers. "Clementine wants to play a drinking game and she really wants you guys to be there." The words come out fast. Her eyes flick to my face.

I let out a sigh and push my head in my hands. Why does everyone want to ruin this for us?

Brittany nods for me to follow her. "Sounds like fun."

Donna snorts. "Clementine's a blast," she says sarcastically and falls in step with me as Brittany locks the door. "She won't stop talking about how good you are in bed," she whispers. "Why is she so obsessed with you?"

I shrug. "I slept with her once."

Donna sighs, shakes her head. "She's got the crazy eyes. You gotta be careful with those ones."

I chuckle and glance over my shoulder before I tell Donna, "Hey, about the other night. I wasn't –"

"Don't worry about it." Donna smiles. "Everyone can use a good hookup once in a while. No strings attached. No hard feelings." She continues up the path, leaving me and Brittany to walk together.