Nine

"We can leave if you want," I say, flipping through the channels on the small TV in the corner of the room. This is the fourth time I've checked the news for current stories in the area. When will they report on the man we found? Maybe it was a bear attack. Maybe I was wrong.

"And let Citrus Bitch know she gets under my skin?" Brittany pops her gum. "It's obvious you didn't know the catty girls in high school."

I stand and pull her away from the suitcase she's emptying. "You win," I whisper into her neck. "You'll always win."

She blushes, pulling me closer.

I kiss her neck gently. "Let's go up for dinner."

I take her hand in mine and start toward the door.

Her eyes narrow at me.

"What?" I can't help but laugh.

"Are you even actually attracted to me?" She shakes her head. "No one has ever kissed my neck and just walked away after."

I pull her closer, wrapping my arm around her shoulders as we take the trail to the common room. "Does it bother you?"

She shrugs.

We push through the back doors, engulfed by warmth and the smell of garlic and parmesan. There are big aluminum trays of pasta and cheese bread on the kitchen island.

Clementine, Grace, and the singer are already at the table, swirling pasta around on their forks.

"I'll get you a plate," Brittany tells me.

I sit next to Grace.

"Jordan. Oh my gosh," Grace wipes her mouth with her napkin and pulls me into a side hug. "How have you been? It's been forever."

"Good, good." I nod.

"This is Donna, by the way." She motions to the singer.

Donna. That was her name.

I half wave. "Hi, Donna."

She nods toward me. "Long time no see."

Grace looks at her. "You guys know each other?" She looks back at me.

I nod. "She sings at the bar I work at," I explain, keeping the hookup to myself. I'm not sure if Donna and Grace are dating but I wouldn't want to ruin their trip by making anyone fight.

"Cute." Grace nods; takes another bite of her pasta. "So, how'd you guys hear about this place? Isn't it such a weird coincidence that all three of us are in the same place again?"

My heart stops. She's right. I never considered that we were the only three survivors of Zachary's rampage.

"Excuuuse me." Clementine points a fork at us. "I'm here too, bitches." She giggles, takes another sip of her drink.

We stare at her.

Brittany takes a seat next to me, slides a plate in front of me, and looks at Clementine. "Kumquat." She nods once. "Lovely to see you again."

Grace snorts.

Donna chokes on her drink.

I try to force the smile down as I wait for Clementine's reaction.

She rolls her eyes and stabs a meatball with her fork.

Brittany is poised for action, her lips pursed into her signature 'fuck you' smile.