Ryder 13 - work it out?

Monday 12.31pm

Logging into the work computer I blew into my hands. The shop was not the best isolated and the office was the coldest part. Usually I would put on the fan heater for Everly, who worked in here the most, but she wasn't anywhere in sight yet.

On Mondays the shop always opened at 1pm, but I usually got down there to fix some things. Like tidying the shop itself or already working on some things that would be expected to be finished by then.

Everly usually came in at 12 or 12.30pm but today she wasn't here.

I sighed deeply, I really hoped she wouldn't bail on me. Not today.

We lived in a town up north from St. Albert. The winters were known to be cold, snow usually came in between the months of November till late April. It depended on the year but usually the snow would be there for a while.

As November already came around the corner it had been a hectic time these last few weeks. It was the time of the year that customers would go and check their vehicles for the upcoming snow season.

If Everly would bail on me today, she was totally in her right. The asshole I was, me and my pride had refused to check up on her. She had Kendrick now anyway.

But I realized it wasn't like her though.. She'd definitely let me know if she was not coming in or when she'd be here later.

The clock in the office notified me it was 12.50pm, time to open the shop.

Sighing I walked towards the cash register and turned the computer on. I put the cash drawer into the register and turned on the playlist for today.

Soft lo-fi tunes started playing as I walked towards the sliding doors. I unlocked them with the digital code and then with the keys. I didn't expect customers right away but just to make sure I would hear them coming in I set up the front camera.

Letting out an annoyed sigh I started walking towards the back of the shop, where I worked on the cars. I already hated today. One complaining customers and I swear I might off myself.

I know it's my fault Everly probably isn't coming today but still I hope she'd understand my position now.

After I had been working on the car and helping some customers in between I now sat down in the small office. Sending a quick reply to most of the emails, saying that we'd respond in 1-3 business days due to some unwanted circumstances.

Suddenly I heard some noise next to me, when I looked up I saw Everly rushing into the backdoor. She quickly walked towards the office but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw me standing in the doorway.

Our eyes met and I was confused by what I saw in hers. Her eyes were a confused mix between anger, sympathy and hurt. Her face was not showing any emotion but her eyes did say everything nonetheless.

I didn't say anything, just letting my eyes wander over her. She looked tired, dark circles around her eyes and her blonde hair was messy and her usually neat clothes seemed not that put together today either.

Not saying anything she pushed past me, putting her bag and jacket away.

Sucking my teeth I raised a brow, before stating the obvious. "You're late."

"Got caught up." She murmured, clearly unwilling to explain.

As soon as the phone rang, she picked up and sat down at the desk where I had been sitting earlier. She motioned for me to go help the customer at the register.

Around 5pm the most of the customers had came in for the day. From now on it'd be slow until 6pm when we would close the shop. This whole time Everly had been avoiding me, and that was really getting on my nerves now.