3. Digging The Dirt

Start from the beginning

*

The following day I entered the BAU and after putting my jacket and bag at my desk, walked to the countertops to make some coffee. Ten and a sixth seconds later, Joyner approached the countertops and sat her mug down next to mine with a clink.

"Good morning." I smiled broadly at her, realising her hair was pulled back from her face today.

My breath was temporarily stolen from me as I saw the resemblance Hotch had been talking about. Although I couldn't see any of Kate in Joy; all I could see was Hayley.

After all, I'd known Hayley a whole lot better than I'd known Kate.

"Morning," She answered, and travelled to her desk to place her bag and jacket there. "So, tell me what you know." She said as I poured us both some coffee.

"W-what?" I stuttered self-consciously.
"About Kate," She laughed. "It's obvious you found some stuff out from Hotch yesterday on the way to the airport. What was it?" I nervously slurped at my coffee and she narrowed her beautiful blue eyes at me; clearly analysing my every move.

"Kate who?" I said dumbly, hurriedly stalking to my desk in the hopes of her dropping it. But instead, she just followed me there and sat down on my desk, directly onto the papers I'd been about to read.

"No you don't want to read them anyway," She laughed shortly. "Another serial killer, butchering old men in Texas," She rolled her eyes and turned them on me. "Now, Kate, spill." I chuckled nervously, licking my lips and avoiding her gaze.

"I didn't find out anything yesterday and I don't know what you mean."

She gave a short laugh and leaned forward, ruffling my hair and sighing,
"Spencer, Spencer, Spencer," I frowned as she did this as it did actually kinda hurt. "I know how much you hate germs," She said smartly in her wonderfully buttery English accent. "Please do not make me cough all over your keyboard."
"That's okay, I don't mind if you do that, I've only used that computer a couple of times and-"

"Don't make me shake your hand." She said, her face inches from mine.

I gulped and cleared my throat, feeling her warm breath on my cheeks.

"All Hotch told me was that he was only with your mom once and how she was too selfish to hold down a relationship with him or any form of friendship. She was a lot like his ex-wife." I gulped when I finished, hoping that I'd spoken too quickly for her to properly understand what I'd said.

"Ex-wife?" She questioned and I cursed myself for mentioning Hayley and groaned.
"That's all I'm saying on the matter. You wanted to know what he said to me and that's all. If you want to find out more, you should ask Hotch yourself."

A moment passed as we sat there looking at each other before she got to her feet and sat her coffee down on my desk, hurrying from the bullpen to the corridor where Garcia's office was located.

Oh God; what had I done?

The Daughter

"Garcia!" I chimed as I knocked on her office door and entered.
"Ah my little blonde beauty, what can I do you for on this lovely fine Friday morning?" I smiled at her contagious happiness and leaned against the wall next to the desk of computers she was sat at.

"I need you to do me a massive favour..." Garcia smiled up at me through her orange glasses.
"Anything my little furry friend."
"I need you to pull me anything you can find on Kate Joyner." Garcia was typing before she came to a furious halt and turned immediately to glare at me.

"Kate Joyner?" She echoed and I nodded. "But... Isn't that your... Mother?" I nodded my head.
"She was indeed. But I didn't know a lot about her, and I don't know what happened to her..."
"Which is where I come in?" I nodded my head and smiled sweetly.