Chapter Eleven

“Good morning, guys,” Rick walked through our small camp. “Let’s get going. We’ve got a lot of ground to cover.” Those of us participating in the search got up and followed him to Carol’s Cherokee where he laid the map out. “Everyone’s getting new search grids today. If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might have gone further east than we’ve been so far.”

“Nothing about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me. Anyone could have been holed up in that farmhouse,” Shane said, standing further away than any of us.

“Anyone includes her, Shane,” I said.

“Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high,” Daryl said, taking a moment from buttoning up his shirt to put his arm out to show the height he was referring to.

“It’s a good lead,” I told him. “Maybe we’ll pick up her trail again.”

“No maybe about it. I’m gonna borrow a horse and head up this ridge right here, take a bird’s eye view of the whole grid,” Daryl pointed to the map. He’s seems a lot calmer today than he was the last time I saw him. “If she’s up there, I’ll spot her.”

“That’s a good idea,” T-Dog chimed in. “Maybe you’ll see your chupacabra up there too.”

“Chupacabra?” I asked him. Rick looked just as confused as I was.

“You never heard?” Dale had come up with the bag of guns we needed for the search. “Our first night in camp, Daryl tells us the whole thing reminds him of the time he went squirrel hunting and he saw a chupacabra.” I laughed at this and Daryl was quick to defend.

“Something funny?” he asked.

“You believe in a blood sucking dog?” I asked him with a smile.

“You believe dead people walking around?” he asked with a slight grin. He was definitely in a better mood. Maybe getting a lead on Sophia helped his attitude.

“Abby, I want you and Andrea to stay here and guard the camp and the farm,” Rick told the group and he continued pitching his plan.

“So we’re useless?” Andrea asked him with her hands on her hips.

“No, not at all. I need somebody here keeping an eye on things. Dale has been on it since we’ve been here and I think he could use some time off. Just stick close to the RV and take it in shifts,” he explained looking at both of us. Andrea scoffed and rolled her eyes before walking away.

“None of these people have the experience with guns we need,” Rick tried to justify his decision. “I just want one person around here that knows how to use one.”

“It’s fine, Rick. I get it. Now, I’m gonna go sit by the RV and be completely useless to the search.” I turned on my heels and followed in the direction Andrea went. She was already on top of the RV so I just sat beside it facing the direction she wasn’t looking. No sense in both of us looking the same way. It wasn’t long before Glenn emerged from the RV holding a guitar.

“Abby, I know this is a long shot, but do you have any idea how to play this thing?” he asked holding the instrument up.

“Why is it a long shot?” I asked with a smile. I knew how happy I looked at the sight of the guitar.

“I just figure all the artsy types wouldn’t have made it,” he scratched the back of his head and spoke quietly. I stood up and walked over to him.

“Glenn, honey, I’m offended at that statement,” I told him. I grabbed the instrument from his hand and started to strum. I was surprised to find that it was pretty well in tune and in great shape. “Where did you get this?”