Chapter Two

Rick jumped up and grabbed the talkie attached to the radio.

“Hello? Where are you? Can you see us?” Rick asked hastily. 

“Yeah, I can see you,” the man said calmly. “You’re surrounded. That’s the bad news.”

“Any good news?” Rick asked plainly.

“No,” the man simply said. Rick shook his head in frustration.

“Look, whoever you are, we’re a little concerned in here,” he said still shaking his head.

“Oh, man. You should see it from here.” I scoffed at this. We are stuck in a tank and this guy really isn’t helping. Rick just looked at me as he continued talking to the man on the outside.

“You got any advice?” he asked.

“Yeah. I’d say make a run for it.” I scuffled over to Rick’s side and starred into Rick’s eyes.

“Make a run for it? Really? That’s it?” Rick couldn’t believe what he just heard and neither could I.

“It’s not as dumb as it sounds. You’ve got eyes on the outside. There’s one geek still on the tank but the others climbed down to the feeding frenzy where the horses are. The street on the other side of the tank is less crowded. If you guys move now while they’re still distracted, you stand a chance. You guys have ammo?” he explained quickly. 

“I’ve got some in the duffle bag I dropped. Can I get to it?” Rick asked.

“It’s not an option. What do you have on you?” I crawled over to our guns and checked the chambers then I noticed a grenade on a shelf above where our guns were. I showed Rick and he replied to the man.

“A Beretta with one clip. That’s 15 rounds.”

“Make ‘em count. Jump off the right side of the tank and run in that direction. There’s an all about 50 yards up the street. Be there.” And with that Rick and I grabbed what we could. He climbed out the top of the tank and smacked a biter with his gun before helping me out of the tank. We jumped down to the street and took off with Rick in front shooting whatever biters he could. We turned the corner and Rick’s gun pointed to a skinny Asian boy.

“Whoa! Not dead!” he yelled and Rick lowered his gun. He must be the guy who helped us out of the tank. We followed him to a ladder with Rick still shooting away. They rushed me to the front and I climbed the ladder first before the Asian and then Rick. We stopped on a ledge about halfway up the building.

“Nice moves, Clint Eastwood. You the new sheriff? Riding in to clean up the town?” the Asian said sarcastically. I smiled at him since it was funny.

“It wasn’t my intention.”

“Yeah, whatever. Yeehaw. You’re still a dumbass.” I giggled a little but the boy didn’t think it was funny at all.

“Rick. Thanks,” Rick stuck his hand out to introduce himself. “This is Abby,” he said as he nodded at me.

“Glenn. You’re welcome,” he nodded to me and shook Rick’s hand. I nodded back at him with a smile. He turned to get back on the ladder and Rick and I followed with me going second after Glenn this time. Once at the top Glenn led us down a ladder into the building we just climbed. We ran straight through across another alley. Glenn spoke into a talkie and two ninjas came out of the door we were headed. They beat the few biters in the alley as the three of us ran across and the ninjas followed. As soon as the door way closed a blonde woman threw Rick against the counter and pointed a gun to his face.

“You son of a bitch. We outta kill you,” she said as serious as a heart attack.

“Chill out, Andrea,” one of the ninjas who was Hispanic took off his helmet and told her.