Chapter Fourteen

“Don’t look,” Daryl kept telling Carol as he tried to hold her still in the dirt. She was fighting but weakly. Once she got free she went in the opposite direction everyone thought she would. Instead of running to her dead daughter, she ran away from all of us but nobody went after her. It was best to give her some space. The Greenes were all distraught over watching their entire family of walkers get gunned down. Beth had broke free from her boyfriend, Jimmy, to hold her moma’s body. Rick had tried to convince her to stay back but she wouldn’t let him touch her. She moved a body from on top of her mother and started screaming almost instantly. Annette’s brain was still intact, so once she noticed Beth was living she attacked her. It took almost all of us to pull the two apart but once the men had Beth safe Andrea and I took it upon ourselves to attempt to take her down. Andrea was attempting to stomp her head in but she was moving too much. I grabbed a scythe off the wall of the barn and yelled for everyone to move. I swung the weapon around and nailed her in the forehead and she was instantly still. The Greenes gathered around Beth and started to make their way back to the house slowly but Shane wasn’t letting this go.

“We’ve been out combing these woods looking for her and she was in there all along?” Shane yelled as he followed the family.

“Leave us alone,” Maggie snapped as she walked a little ahead of the rest of her family.

“Shane, please stop, honey,” I tried to reason with him but he shrugged me off.

“You knew and you kept it from us,” he continued.

“We didn’t know,” Hershel argued.

“That’s bullshit. You all knew,” Shane wasn’t letting up. I stayed with him trying to convince him to just give them space. Glenn followed us.

“We didn’t know!” Maggie repeated.

“Why was she there?” Shane asked them as we all approached the porch.

“Otis put those people in the barn. Maybe he found her and put her there before he was killed.

“You expect me to believe that?” Shane stepped forward and I stood between the two men holding Shane’s chest with both my hands and shushing him but there was no stopping him, just slowing him down.

“I don’t care what you believe,” Hershel told him.

“Both of you please calm down,” I said looking to Hershel to not make matters worse.

“Get him off my land!” Hershel was done playing nice. By then Maggie had made her way between Hershel and me with the same intention I had.

“Let me tell you something,” Shane walked forward only pushing me with him. Maggie had stepped around me and smacked him clean across his face.

“Don’t touch him!” she screamed as she shook with anger. Shane grew silent and let me push him a few feet back. “Haven’t you done enough?” Maggie turned to walk inside and her family followed her.

“I mean it. Off my land,” Hershel said one last time before going inside himself. Glenn tightened his lip and went after them, leaving Shane and I alone.

“What are you doing?” I asked him rubbing my temples with both of my hands.

“Daryl almost died looking for her. Anyone of us could have. I’m telling you right now, that son of a bitch knew.” Shane’s voice grew deep and dark sounding.

“He opened his home to us, Shane.”

“He put us all in danger. He kept a barn full of walkers, Abby,” Shane pointed towards the barn.