Chapter One

A/N: This will follow the main events of the show but as we go on the dialog will grow into it's own. The first couple chapters will follow the show closely. Please let me know what you guys think. It means a lot.

I’m going crazy. My mind has been all over the place for months. The world has gone to Hell. Everything I know is gone. Everyone I love is gone. I’m the last one aren’t I? And I’m hiding in this police station just wasting away. What am I supposed to do? I sat against the wall behind my husband’s desk with my knees pulled up to my chest. Just sitting there, letting my mind go slowly. I’ve been alone since this started and it’s starting to affect me. I glanced up at Shane’s desk and decided to sit in his chair. A picture of us on our wedding day caught my eye and I picked it up. We were both perfect that day. His hair was perfectly messy and he had light stubble tracing his jaw line. I always thought he was the sexiest that way. My red hair was pinned up in a messy bun with a daisy in it that brought out my bright blue eyes. It was the happiest day of my life. Tears welled up in my eyes as I remembered how happy I was and spoke to the framed photo. 

“Where did you go, babe?” I whispered as my fingers traced his face. My moment with my husband’s picture was interrupted by a shuffling noise outside the door. I ignored it, assuming it was just another biter until I heard keys dangling. Shane! It has to be Shane. Only members of the Sherriff’s Department had keys in here. I jumped up and ran around the corner to the back door with our wedding picture still in my hand. The door creaked open as I rounded the corner.

“Shane?” I asked quietly, clutching to the picture of dear life as I prayed my husband was the one coming through that door.  Instead of my husband, it was a ghost. A man I thought had died months ago with the rest of the world closed the door quickly behind him as he kept his body facing me.

“Abby?” Shane’s partner and our childhood friend, Rick, hurried over to me as he shoved a few chairs out of the way. I met him halfway and wrapped my arms around him.

“Oh, God. Rick? How did you… What happened?” I held his shoulders as I looked into his eyes to make sure he was real and I wasn’t just seeing things.

“I woke up in the hospital completely alone. I walked around and could not find anyone. There were so many dead people, Abby. I went home as fast as I could to check on Lori and Carl but they left. They’re still alive. I know it. And I wouldn’t have even made it here if it weren’t for these guys,” he nodded behind him to a black man a little older than Rick and a boy I assume is his son. “This is Morgan and his son, Duane. They’ve been taking care of Fred and Cindy Drake’s place.” Rick moved to the side as he introduced them so I could greet them. 

“It’s nice to meet both of you. And I’m sure the Drake’s would appreciate that,” I smiled as I shook both their hands.

“We’re on our way to Atlanta. There’s a refugee camp there,” Morgan explained.

“And the Center for Disease Control,” Duane piped in. 

“I think Lori and Carl are there,” Rick said. “And I don’t think they got there alone.” He gave me a hopeful look.

“What do you mean, Rick?” I asked him, glancing at the photo still in my hand.

“Shane had to get them there. I don’t see them getting there by themselves through all the walkers,” he said. 

“So you think Shane picked Lori and Carl up at your house and ran away to Atlanta?” I asked with tears forming again.

“Yes but seeing you here confuses me. Why aren’t you with Shane?” he asked me. I sighed and led them into the next room and sat back at Shane’s desk. Rick sat at his old desk beside me and Morgan and Dwayne sat in some chairs on the other side of the room.