I'm Suspicious But No One Notices

They were her sun.

Her light.

They were the ones who gave her purpose, the ones who made her feel alive. They were the ones that made her happy, they were the ones that gave her attention.

Kanao was miserable.

Ever since she was a child, she had no parents, no home, no siblings, no friends, no nothing. She had nothing.

That's why, when they came to her, she was more than happy. They showed her kindness, they taught her what kindness was, and loved her like no other.

It was just a normal day. Little Kanao was crawling at the ground, searching for anything to eat. Evern crumbs of bread was enough, even if it were just leftovers, as long as she had something to eat, it would be satisfied.

People were flashing her looks of disgust and pity. But she didn't care. She was used to those stares. What use was their pity when they never even tried to do anything for her aside?

After trying to look for anything to eat, she would curl up in the streets with a small cup infront of her. If she would be given even a small coin, it would be her lucky day. If she was given more than that, she would cry in her happiness and thank the God.

After that, she would curl up lying in the corner, hugging her stomach because it always hurts so much. She didn't know why it hurt, maybe she had done something wrong for it to hurt like this everyday. She would groan and whimper in pain and cry herself to sleep.

She would always wake up in the middle of the night, and she takes her time wandering around. Sometimes she would play with the animals that was like her, alone, without any family or friends. Sometimes she would find some clothes to wear, even if they were ripped off and broken. Sometimes, she would stumble upon some big scary men that undresses her and do these things to her that hurt so much, and she ends up passing out whenever they do that.

If she doesn't meet any big scary men, then she would move to another place where she can find food in the morning after sleeping somewhere warm.

That was how her daily life went, and how she would do things everyday. But something was different.

She was sleeping, her body curled up into a ball. It was silent, peaceful, and she was having a nice dream. She was in a land full of food, and she was eating them. After that, her tummy didn't hurt anymore, and she was smiling, with friends. So many friends. But she woke up, and she was sad and when she did. She wanted to dream more. She wanted to have that dream forever.

"Hello?"

She looked up, and met these eyes that was filled with concern– something Kanao wasn't familiar with. She cocked her head to the side, wondering if this little boy was speaking to her.

She was surprised when he smiled. No one ever smiled at her before. It was weird, but in the nice kind of weird. "You're awake."

She blinked. Why did he look like that? Why was his eyes shining? Why was his cheeks red?

"Come." He reached out his hand, and Kanao only looked at him as if he was weird. She kept blinking, and the boy was moving her hand around, as if emphatizing it to her.

Did he want her to hold his hand? But why? She was dirty, and she smelled bad. That's why people always stayed away from her. Even the small children that looked like her age was running away from her whenever they saw her.

Behind the little boy, a woman came running towards them. She looked like the boy, but she was a woman. And bigger. Much much bigger.

The woman grabbed the boy by the shoulder, "Tanjirou! Don't suddenly run like that, okay?" She scolded, before embracing the boy to a hug. Then pulled away from him, and her eyes met Kanao's.