Noticing

Silence filled the room as specks of sunlight hit my eyes. I yawned and sat up looking around giving a light chuckle as I saw Joey drooling over the Xbox controller.
We must have fell asleep playing.
I sat up, avoiding the creaky spots in the carpet floor and picked up the few items I took out of the duffel bag. I wrote a quick note to Joey saying I was at home, and got into my car.
On the way home, I stopped to notice the small things and appreciate them.
Like the morning dew setting the hazy, lazy scene of the day.
Or the stoplight flashing permanently programmed to do the same pattern.
I got home, and warily entered the house wondering what I was going to meet.
Yami could have done anything when I was gone...

The door opened, and worry drew through me like a storm. Negative thoughts flew through my head like fire.
What if I'm too weak?
How will I protect Yugi?
What if he doesn't like me being human!??
I shook my head avoiding the answer to any of those questions.
I sat up straight and prepared myself for the worst.

"Helloooo I'm hoommee." I called teasingly as I dropped my duffel bag on the ground.
"Yami?" I called. I knew Grandpa was asleep, and waking him up was impossible. Grandpa slept like a dog.
A very tired dog...
"Yami?!?" I said panic creeping into my voice. He would have came by now. I quickly trotted upraised and threw opened my door to see Yami sitting on the edge of my bed his head in his hands.
"Yami?" I said walking towards him. Something felt strange about him-different.
"Hi, Yugi."
"Are you alright?"
Silence I sat next to the bed and gave Yami a hug. It was sad-how he could only touch things when I'm near him, being connected and all.
"No Yugi. I have something you need to know..."
I brightened and then out of my eye saw the clock.
"Oh no! It's eight!" I stood up straight and started running around my room getting my clothes together in panic.
"Yugi what's wrong?!!"
"The world is going to end!"
"What! Why?!?"
"I have to go to school!" I wailed as I ran to the bathroom to get dressed.
"What's this 'school' you speak of?" Yami said on the other side of the bathroom door. I tugged my shoes on and threw it open.
"A hell hole where kids have to go. Adults then brainwash the kids for eight hours a day."
Yami raised an eyebrow and followed me around the house. I popped some toast in, and poured a glass of milk.
"Yami what did you do when I was gone?" I said as I picked up my school folders on the counter.
"Nothing..."
"Maybe next time you can come with me!" I said jokingly as I took a few bites of toast that just popped out of the toaster.
I took a step out the door checking my watch.
"I have two minutes to make the bus. See you later, Yami!" I called starting to walk out the house. I heard footsteps beside me, and tilted my head to see Yami walking with me.
"What are you doing?" I said, walking faster trying to look casual.
"I'm going with you." His eyes darted lightning speed to my legs. "Yugi you do know you can't outrun me."
"What! You can't come with me Yami, your a ghost!"
I saw him shoot me a smile, and I raised an eyebrow in confusion.
"Why are you being so cocky?"
"You'll see soon enough, one.."Yami said and then gestured towards the grimy yellow school bus gradually making it way down the street towards us. I inwardly groaned as I felt a pang in my stomach, the one I feel when I know something bad is going to happen.
"Get on already..."Yami said slightly pushing me up the bus steps. I rolled my eyes and reshuffled my backpack to the other shoulder.
"Yami I hope you know what your doing..." I said worriedly as I took one of the first seats and him sitting next to me. A few of the people already on gave me odd looks, but other than that everything seemed normal.
From my observations, despite my Grandpa's deep knowledge on the warriors and spirits, he couldn't see Yami. No one else could, even though he could appear anywhere on Earth practically..
"Oh this is so exciting!" Yami peered out the window pointing at random things and asking what they were.
"What's that!" Yami said sounding like a curious three-year old.
"That's a bush, Yami..." I said as I rolled my eyes.
"I cannot wait to go to this 'school' of yours!" Yami said that loudly, yet again I figured no one could hear us.
I felt a tap on my shoulder, and turned my head to see a girl with an annoyed look etched on her face.
"Tell your little friend to be quieter, please." The girl huffed a bit, then sat down and chatted with her friend.
She left me, with mouth opened wide.
How.
Can.
He.
Be.
Heard?!?!?
"Yami! Your human!?!?" I said my eyes bulging out.
He nodded and turned his head back towards the window trying to avoid the topic.
"But I didn't think you change earlier." I said in a hushed whisper. I saw Yami shrugged and decided to press more on the topic later.
"Let's hope your in all my classes.." I mumbled my thoughts on what would happen if he wasn't in all of my classes.
"Hey Mr. PE teacher, what is that thing?"
"It's a ball son! Now get in the game!"
Ping!
"Ow this 'ball' hit me!"
"Throw it you idiot!"
"That was the girliest toss in history.."
"Really? Back in the spirit world it's common curtesy to be kind when it comes to children."
"Did he just call us children?"
Disaster.

"School, yay!"

{Monday 8:45/ 30 minutes after arrival}

"Your school smells..." Yami said stating the obvious as he trailed behind me to the office. The morning bell would ring any minute and I haven't even made it to my locker yet.
"If this office you speak of is so important why don't they put it near the front?" I shrugged and opened the office door strolling in.
The office ladies weren't exactly the kindest fish in the sea, so I tapped the closest one who wasn't on the phone and put on one of my best smiles.
"What."
"Er...My cousin here would like to register. It would be nice if he could be in all my classes..." I finished the last part weakly. I whacked his hand as he tried to take a mint from the bowl on the ladies desk.
"You'll have to fill out this form before he can officially join but since he's already here I guess I can let him in your classes. But just for today, tomorrow you need the forms. Here's your locker number and books you'll need."
The lady handed me the paper, and plopped the giant stack of books in Yami's arms and for a moment it seemed he would topple over.
"Good luck. Now get out..please." It seemed like the lady forced herself to say please, but nonetheless I got what I needed. I led Yami to his locker, which conveniently was just a few away from mine.
The bell rung, and I gave a heavy sigh as the majority of the classmates filed into their rooms leaving only a few slow stragglers skittering to their class.
"That's the last of it." I said, as I put the final folder in the now neatly organized locker.
"How will I know which one to use for each subject?"
"We can label them later."
With that, I quickly did my combo grabbed my stuff and grabbed Yami's wrist without hesitation.
"I'm so in trouble.." I said as we turned around the corner and into the hallway to my first class.
"Why?"
"My teacher hates me."
"Which class is it?"
"Math."
Yami made an 'Oh' and I entered the room, quickly dropping his wrist trying to hide my slight blush.
"Late yet again Mr. Moto..." My teacher, 'Professor' Kaiba.
"Yeah sorry.." I scanned the available seats and took the one of the two in the back leaving Yami the other one.
"The class is working on their note packets from Friday."
I took out my packet and thanked my self for grabbing a spare. I handed the other to Yami and quickly jotted down what was on the smart board.
"Okay class, now to start off you divide three by..." Professor Kaiba droned on, and I bit the tip of my pen while daydreaming.
I jumped with a start when I heard the bell ring. I gathered my things and saw a Yami who was giving me a creepy smile.
"What?"
"Nothing little one, nothing at all."
For some reason I felt heat in my cheeks and instantly turned my head.
This is going to be a long day...

A/N:
AHHH 200 READS YAAA
Sorry for the short chappie...
I didn't have that much time..
But anyways I liked making this one! Making Yugi blush is fun!
Yugi: I don't like it...
YOU WILL BWAAHAHAHHA.
Yugi:X.X
Hehe..
-multifangirl_7🐬