twenty three: the conversation

"Why are you nervous, princesa? You know she's not going to be mad at us

"Why are you nervous, princesa? You know she's not going to be mad at us."

You sigh, taking a sip of your coffee as you get out of Luke's car. "Part of me feels like she is."

"I don't think so," he says, wrapping an arm around your waist. "Trust me."

He kisses the top of your head, and the two of you enter FBI Headquarters. You take the elevator to the sixth floor, Luke moving to grip your hand. The elevator doors open with a ding, and you two walk to the glass doors of the bullpen. Luke releases your hand before opening the door for you, and you walk inside, Luke following you to your desk. You set your coffee down, sharing a glance with Spencer. He smiles at you.

"She's in her office."

"Mhm, I figured."

You smile at him before turning to Prentiss' office, Luke trailing behind you as you walk up the three short steps to the door of her office. You knock softly, Luke's hand on your lower back.

"Come in."

You open the door, the two of you stepping inside Prentiss' office. She glances up at you, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. You both sit at the couple of chairs in front of her desk, your hands nervously tugging at your shirt.

"You know, in the history of working at the BAU, I've never seen anyone dislike each other as much as you two did when Luke first started working here," she starts, leaning forward on her forearms. "I thought Y/n was going to rip your head off." She glances at Luke, a playful smile on his lips.

"Hey, I don't think I was that bad," you defend, looking at Luke.

Prentiss laughs softly. "That's why it was so weird to me when you two started...not fighting all the time. It started with that one rape case—I remember mentioning to JJ that Y/n was wearing Luke's sweater, something she'd never be caught dead in if it was a month earlier." Prentiss looks at Luke again, her eyes softening just a touch. "And you were very protective of her. I could see it. We all could. Especially during the case in New Orleans when Y/n went undercover."

"Yeah, Spencer saved his ass with that one," you mutter, Luke throwing you a hard look. "What? He did!"

"I think that's when we all started suspecting something was going on with you two," Prentiss states, lacing her fingers together. "And the more we talked about it, the more it started to make sense. The way you two move around each other, it's almost magnetic. Y/n moves, Luke moves." Her eyes flick between the two of you. "And the way you two look at each other—it's protective. Like you'd die trying to protect each other."

You're silent, looking over at Luke. Both of your hands move at the same time, Luke lacing his fingers with yours. Prentiss' eyes flick down to your hands, then back up at your face.

"It's very clear you two love each other—I mean, shit, we heard it yesterday. And I don't want to stand in the way of that, but I need to know if this is going to affect us working as a team." Her tone of voice changes slightly, a little sterner. "You two can't worry about each other in the field. We're a team for a reason. Personal interests have to be kept just that—personal. Can I trust you two to remain professional in the field?"