Chapter 2

~Anahita~

⚠️warning graphic topics!!⚠️

My name is Anahita Higgins I'm 121 years old and you may ask me how do I look like I haven't aged a day in my life? Well....I'm far from being a ordinary girl. I'm not even human I'm a creature from under the deep blue world you know as lakes, oceans, rivers and etc. Humans call my kind mermaids or merfolk but my people live in secrecy so their knowledge of our existence is only based on legends/myths. However we are very much real we just prefer to keep the humans out of our business after some of our kind were hunted and killed by humans. We have different species of merfolk like the Irish merrows, Iceland's selkies, Greece's most famous sirens, kelpies/ceasgs of Scotland, water nymphs, finfolk of Norway, Sweden, and Finland in Northern Europe, freshwater merfolk and etc. I am a freshwater mermaid and before you even ask I'm a air breather I can just hold my breath for a very long time like every aquatic mammal can. I came from the northern parts of Lake Huron its where I grew up. My people have the ability to transform into a human when our tails are completely dried and the lake gets too cold for our warm blooded parts. We do have human lives on land too so we can observe the humans making sure they don't find out about our existence. As a guppy/child I was always fascinated by how life is like living out in the oceans. The town I grew up in had a marine museum called NOAA where they talk about how life thrives underwater. That's how I learned about our oceans and fell head over fins for it. As I grew older the more I longed for our oceans where my ancestors first came to existence. I had to leave my home from Michigan for Ive been madly in love the ocean and wanted to get a little closer to it. I decided to live in Derry Maine since the ocean was only 43 miles away but  it's better than over a thousand miles. now I'm 121 years old and been living in Derry for a while now. Yes I know I certainly don't look like it but we merfolk can live up to 300 years old. Once we die our bodies dissolve into foam upon the waves. Derry is just 43 miles away where my species originated. Even though I'm a freshwater mermaid I've dreamt about swimming freely in the ocean seeing all of its wonders but unfortunately I can't for my body has adapted to freshwater not saltwater. I'd probably dry out like a vegetable from the massive amount of salt in the ocean. Still I just want to be part of it somehow even if I have to live 43 miles away in a river next to Derry. Ive been renting a small house near the Penobscot River and I've already started a job at clothing store called "second hand rose, second hand clothes" working in retail sucks I don't how humans can put up with this lifestyle. I come home from another long shift and I collapse into the couch exhausted from dealing with soccer moms and entitled Karens complaining all the time. Rolling my eyes at the memory of work today I pulled out my IPhone and browsed through the web when all of a sudden I get a messenger notification. I tap the app icon to see who had messaged me. The app opened up and I started to wince at what was on my screen. Another desperate middle aged man messaged me with a "heyyyy cutie 😘" this triggers a flashback to when my big distain for human men had started. It was a gorgeous summer day while I was just hunting in Lake Huron for any delicious trouts to feast on. I was 12 years old at the time, still young and oblivious to the dangers of the real world. I caught my meal and swam up to a shore of huge rocks lying down and up against each other where the sand should be. I held the trout in my mouth as I used my upper body strength to hoist me up on to the surprisingly smooth rock. I finished eating the fish when foolishly I forgot once my scales completely dries off I start to transform into a human.
A/n (authors note) (the transformation is like the transformation from the show siren)