Daciana

Daciana

"You know the plan?" Elisabeta asks me as we stand outside the cabin. I nod my head stiffly. "Then let's go." She says and her words are followed by a roundhouse kick to the door. It bursts open and it's hinges shake.

Dracula is hanging over Katrina on the bed. Her head snaps to look at us and Dracula immediately straightens,

"Leave." He commands. We enter the room. "Can't you see I'm in the middle of something?" He asks exasperatedly.

"Drac, stop." I command and his features contort into a sarcastic scowl. "You don't want to do this." Katrina watches us hopefully. She wants us to save her. "Just think for a minute."

He foolishly took a few steps from Katrina, and seeing her opportunity Elisabeta snatched her up and ran from the cabin at lightning speed. Dracula cried out and made to follow her, but I stood in his way.

"Get. Out. Of. My. Way." He grunted, pushing up against me. I lay my hands on his chest.

"She's different." I plead. "She's not like us." The way his face is contorted in pain breaks my heart. "She can't love you like I can. She can never appreciate you." My words are whispers, my thoughts are silent pleas.

He stops struggling for a second, and I continue,

"She's from a different time and she's in love with someone else." I try to make my tone convincing, so that he'll keep listening, "You are the only one I have ever loved. Why can't you see that?" My voice is shrill at the end and I bury my head in his chest.

All is quiet around us, he puts his arms around me as I wretch. I lift my head to face him, and he leans in to kiss me. It is the first time he has initiated a kiss in one hundred years. It is soft and gentle and apologetic. He holds me close and we kiss to make up for lost time.

We pull out of our embrace and we sit on the bed, my head on his shoulder and his arm around me.

"It really has always been you." I say again. He turns to look at me,

"It's the same for me." He responded and my jaw dropped,

"But what about Elisabeta? What about Katrina?" I questioned, the pitch in my voice ever rising.

"I was confused," he explains, "I didn't know what I wanted." He pauses. "You are the most loyal, most passionate being I have ever known. How could I ever love anyone else?"

I am caught off guard by his words,

"Love?" My voice shakes.

"I love you, Daciana." He whispers.

"I love you too." My voice is almost inaudible and an unheard of icy tear falls down my cheek. We sit in silence for a few minutes until he shifts and pulls me off the bed with him and put of the cabin altogether. "Where are we going?" I ask.

"I suppose I'd better to apologize to Elisabeta and Katrina, and tell them that they'll have to go." He smiles as he speaks and I kiss him again.

"I missed you." I admit.

"I missed myself." He puts his arm around my shoulder and we head for the castle.