Elisabeta

Elisabeta

I closed my laptop, put it in its case and hid it under my bed in its customary place. I left my room and went to find Daciana, who was my best friend out of necessity. I looked for her all around the castle and eventually found her studying the portrait of Drac in the library.

I had never understood why Daciana was so obsessed with him. He was a nice man at one time surely, but not now. Now all he did was sulk around, missing the glory days when his name wasn't a joke and he could feed publicly. Nothing interested him anymore, but still she persisted. Even when he first returned with me she loved him. Our relationship was more strained then of course, but we've grown to become sisters almost.

I remain silent but do not leave, I continue to watch her, knowing what I plan to do to all of us. I'd gone over the plan hundreds of times but couldn't come up with an outcome where either I or Daciana lived. It wasn't fair, but he had to be stopped.

She stirs and I awake from my daydream and dash around the corner so that she will not see me. She ventures up to the tower and I follow her, but remain at the bottom. She doesn't stay long and when she comes back down I follow her past my room and to the front door. I run to the back door and watch her leave the garage in an old Ford. I select something a bit more modern and follow her into town. I realize that she must be following Drac, but then she takes a wrong turn, following the wrong man. I laugh, obsessed though she may be, that didn't make her any smarter.

In a split second decision I follow Drac to a 24 hour convenience store. He enters looking bored. I stay outside watching him through the windows. He loiters around the aisles and then heads to the back out of sight. I slip in unseen and watch him from behind a display. He talks to a brunette girl who serves him coffee. I notice that he is taken with her and wonder if he will bring her home. I hope not because that will ruin my plan. But instead of picking her up and running as he did with us, he takes the coffee, which I know he can't drink, and leaves to pay.

When I see he is at the register and out of sight, I approach the girl, her eyes follow him as he walks away.

"Hey." I greet her, sitting at the bar.

"Hey, what can I get you?" She asks cheerfully.

"You decide." I suggest. I hear the cash register slam shut and I know that Dracula will be leaving soon. She pours coffee into a styrofoam cup and adds foam and whipped cream. I'm too nervous at being caught to pay attention, but her eyes are on her work and not Drac. The sliding doors shut and I know that he's left. The girl hands me the drink,

"You know what? I think I left my wallet at home!" I giggle, playing a part. She raises an eyebrow. "Sorry!" I call over my shoulder as I leave.

Drac is a few feet ahead of me. He drops the cup and inhales deeply. I smell blood and my head whips to the side and I see Daciana draining a dirty looking man. I hear the familiar ripping sound of shifting and hear the wind whisper a name.

Katrina.

The name of the barista.

And then Daciana cries out. I rush to her side,

"What's the matter?" I ask, crouching down.

"I love him." She says pathetically looking up at me.

"I know." I sigh and put my arm around her.